How to set desktop wallpaper and logon screen picture

Dear Team,

Through bigfix how we can set wallpaper on all desktops and how to set logon screen picture, Kindly share your views and experience.

Thanks & Regards
Vicky

How would you do it normally?

What commands would you use? What files would be changed?

The initial question isn’t how to do this through BigFix, it is how to do it non-interactively from the command line or similar. Once that is answered, then the question becomes how to implement that with BigFix.

Thanks @jgstew, now we are manually change desktop wallpapers from every end user desktop, I have a file type of that pic is JPEG format.

we need all of your help to achieve this.

Right… so how do you do it from the command line? What commands are needed to make the change?

We are plan to do through using regset command by regedit wizard and copy command for used to copy image into our main IBM server to all local client machine.

Eg: regset HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop in that edit wallpaper location and choose it from local drive where we put it through copy command.

You can’t set registry entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER with BigFix directly. You would have to use Local GPO to do this, which can be done with BigFix. When BigFix runs, the “current user” is the SYSTEM account, and not the actual current user.

There are ways to try to affect the current user without using Local GPO with BigFix, but doing so requires that a user be logged in, and it will only affect that particular user, and not the next user to login. This is not the behavior you are looking for.

Examples:

2 Likes

You can modify HKCU keys by running a powershell or VB script which mounts each user’s hive (NTUSER.DAT), modify’s a key or keys, then unmounts it. There are various ways out there, I used to do it to modify all users MS Office reg keys. Can’t locate my reference but I am sure there are improved & more up to date ones out there.