How to reconfigure DSA servers at the system failure

(imported topic written by esuzuki)

Hi,

I would like to know how to reconfigure the DSA (disaster server architecture) servers at the system failure.

Imagine the situation below:

• Both BF Enterprise and BES Reporting DB are built in the primary server (TEM-1) and replicated by the secondery server (TEM-2).
  • Web Report DB and its related data files (see below*) are also backed up. (TEM-1/TEM-2)

*The files are:

BigFix Server folder

\BESReportsData\ArchiveDataArchived

BigFix Server folder

\BESReportsServer\wwwroot\ReportFiles

Now, imagine TEM-2 server is down and needs be reconfigured from the OS

installaion.

Questions:

Q1, Can we put the same computer name to a new (replacment) server?

Q2, In order to replicate data at the new server, should we do anything on TEM-1 in advance?

Q3, The Computer ID of TEM-2 will be changed, but will this cause any effect on the settings of relays and/or clients? (Ideally we’d like to simply switch the server machine to a new one and no setting changes are required.)

I would appreciate your prompt reply to these questions before the Christmas as required by our customer.

Thanks,

Meg

(imported comment written by esuzuki)

Hi,

As I receive no replies on this inquiry, let me rephrase and ask the inquiry once again.

Your partial advice would be still helpful.

I would like to appreciate your help in my better understanding for appropriate recovery

steps to rebuild the primary server (“Server A”) in the event of hardware failure of Server A

in DSA.

[Note: I looked through the instructions specified in below wiki, however, it doesn’t state about

the specific case which information I are looking for (in the event of hardware failure of Server A

in DSA architecture, and thus I am asking this.]

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Disaster%20Server%20Architecture%20(DSA)

Assume below configuration and conditions:

• HW failure occurred in Server A (master server).
  • Web Report service was running on Server A.
  • Server A and the secondary server (“Server B”) are configured in DSA.
  • Host name of Server A is the registered host name in the masthead.
  • BFEnterprise DB data are not backed up, although Web Report DB and Master DB data are backed up as well as

these files:

\BESReportsData\ArchiveData

• Master setting is switched from Server A to Server B using SQL Management Studio right after when the HW

failure of Server A occurred.

Our expected steps to reconfigure Server A:

1. Install the same OS version into a new machine with the same host name with the previous machine

2. Install SQLServer (the same version with the one on the previous machine)

3. Restore Master DB from the backup file of Server A (User information)

4. Download the same version of TEM Install Generator as used for Server B

5. Restore BESReporting DB from the backup file of Server A

6. Restore

\BESReportsData\ArchiveData

from the backup file of Server A

1. Run TEM Install Generator and perform a ‘Production’ installation using the masthead.

2. Install TEM Server as Replication DB

3. Synchronization will start (we believe the data will be copied from Server B)

4. Switch back the master server from Sever B to Server A

Questions:

1. Is the above our understanding is correct as the restoration method of master server?

Please point me out if any part of the above our understanding are inappropriate or wrong.

1. Besides, I specifically have concerns on below points:
  • In Step 1 above, can the same host name be given to a new machine with previous machine?

• In Step 8 above, at TEM server installation, which database should be used, master DB or replication DB?

If master DB is selected, I suspect Step 9 won’t be performed (can be skipped).

If replication DB is selected, I guess the synchronization would be performed in Step 9. However,

I am afraid TEM server installed with having master DB would no longer exist in the system

environment since it will be installed as replication DB although was originally installed as master DB.

Is this correct?

• In Step 10, after Server A is restored as a master server, would relays and clients discover and recognize

Server A automatically?

Additional Questions:

Please also help me understand the appropriate recovery steps in the following case:

1. Recovery steps for Server B (secondary server) in the event of “its” HW failure in DSA.

2. Recovery steps from the operational mistakes.

Assume the configuration files (or data) are deleted by mistake.

In this case, the data has to be restored at the condition or the past time when both primary and secondary

server were running as normal.

I guess we have to stop both servers once, restore all data from backup files, and then synchronize

these servers from that point on. (This is the reason I am asking this specific question and I guess

the recovery steps will differ from the cases of HW failure.)

Looking forward to your short reply!

Regards,

Meg