How to install MSI with option

Hello,

I am trying to install the adobe patch but it tries to create the shortcut given the default silent installation:

waithidden msiexec.exe /qn /i “__Download\AcroRdrDC1500720033_en_US.msi”

What I need to do is include the option “DISABLEDESKTOPSHORTCUT=1”

I’ve tried running the msiexec command with silent install and the option in question via CMD in the machine and it did not create the shortcut However, when I create the fixlet for it, it won’t install. The command I am using is this:

waithidden msiexec.exe /qn /i “__Download\AcroRdrDC1500720033_en_US.msi DISABLEDESKTOPSHORTCUT=1”

Is there anything else I need to add? Do I need to run it as a specific user?

Thank you

waithidden msiexec.exe /qn /i “__Download\AcroRdrDC1500720033_en_US.msi DISABLEDESKTOPSHORTCUT=1”

Doesn’t that imply that you have a file called “__Download\AcroRdrDC1500720033_en_US.msi DISABLEDESKTOPSHORTCUT=1”?

I was thinking the same thing.

You need to watch where the doublequotes are. The filename may or may not need to be doublequoted, the parameter may or may not need doublequotes, but in no case should both the filename and parameter fall within the same set of doublequotes.

Perfect! moving the option outside the double quotes did the trick!

Thanks guys!

If you had multiple install options you needed to modify for this package, or any future packages you deploy, you can look at using a transform file as well. It’s fairly easy to create with the help of an msi editor like Orca.

When you create a deployment task in the Manage Software Distribution dashboard, you will see an option to add a transform file.

1 Like