How to find multiple version of MS build in apps?

I am writing an analyses to search duplicate MS build in app - MS photo with different version, but first of all, I need to find if the key exists or not.

I run the same fixlet on Fixlet Debugger and Bigfix UI. However it is strange that Fixlet Debugger return True, and Bigfix UI return False.
exists key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Families\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe" of registry

I also run another fixlet on Bigfix UI, it only return a few registry keys.
(keys of it) of key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Families" of native registry

If I run the fixlet like below, it said “Singular expression refers to nonexistent object.”.
key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Families\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe" of native registry

Can anyone give me some suggestion. Thanks a lot.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is a “virtual” registry hive, made up by mounting both HKLM\Software\Classes and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes.

In the debugger, you might be seeing entries from your accounts HKEY_CURRENT_USER but in the real client, it would be the LocalSystem account’s hive instead.

You may need to modify your query to search the real registry paths, and the results could depend upon whether there is a user logged on at any given time.

1 Like