How to change server database username?

After working with an existing system for years, I’m setting up a (test) system for the first time. The database connection portion of the setup process allows for the use of either (a) the logged in user’s Active Directory credentials or (b) a SQL authentication SA account. We’d like to use an Active Directory service account, so I selected option (a) and figured I’d change the account used later. Now, I can only find a way to change the password, not the user. Did I choose wrong?

Another option I’d considered was logging in with the service account to perform the server configuration, but I was logged in already as myself so I figured I’d use that and try changing it after. Is the way to do what we want to log in as that account instead? Is there another way? Am I missing something (hopefully not too obvious)?

For Windows Integrated Auth to SQL Server, you’d change the “Log On As” account for each of the Server services in the Windows Services applet.

The account you use should be a member of the local Administrators group on the server, and you’ll need to change and restart each of the services (BESRootServer, FillDB, GatherDB, Web Reports, and WebUI), assuming you also want to use AD service accounts for Web Reports and WebUI

1 Like

Ah! Now that you said it out loud, it seems obvious. Thank you!

(That said, HCL should really consider adding this as an option in the installation process.)

Which of these services actually need to access the database directly?

All of the above, but it’s possible to mix and match so Web Reports and WebUI use a different credential or sql-auth instead of windows-integrated.

BESRootServer, FillDB, and GatherDB share a configuration and should use the same credential.

1 Like