How long does it take from a Microsoft update to a Bigfix Fixlet?

(imported topic written by simonb91)

Hi,

Stupid sort of question, but someone in the office was asking. When Microsoft release their critical updates - how long does it take for Fixlets to be made and deployed from Bigfix to customers?

Cheers,

Simon

(imported comment written by brolly3391)

Hello Simon,

I have been on BigFix for over 2 years now and I have found them to be very fast to market with the MS patches. I have not really monitored to see exactly how fast they turnaround but I have never seen an official MS release that was not in my BigFix console on the same day. I have been very pleased.

Cheers,

Brolly.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Simon,

After Microsoft releases the bulletins (usually around the afternoon Pacific Time), we work on the Fixlets in order of criticality on the most common operating systems.

Depending on how many bulletins are released, we almost always have the initial critical Fixlets released a few hours later and then we usually have all Fixlets released the same-day (Pacific Time). After we release the Fixlets, all BES Servers will gather within an hour.

For example, last two months:

September 2006 - 5 bulletins (including 2 re-release) - 6 hours

October 2006 - 10 bulletins - 11 hours

I believe the fastest we have ever released new Fixlets is something like 2 hours (there were 3 bulletins).

Many of our customers have very aggressive SLAs for patching and it is common for our users to have completely deployed the patches on the same day as Microsoft releases them.

Ben

(imported comment written by taltrade91)

We typically don’t see Microsoft’s monthly patches until sometime on Wednesday (the day after the patches are released). Is there a setting we can change to receive the patches sooner?

Hi taltrade,

The patches are almost always released the same day (often just a few hours after release).

Sometimes if there is a lot of patches, you won’t see the last few until later in the night…

Your server by default will gather from BigFix every hour unless you changed something…

Ben

(imported comment written by taltrade91)

Ben, do you know how/where I can check our gather settings to make sure that we’re gathering every hour? Thanks in advance

On the server, the default is:

“HKLM\Software\BigFix\Enterprise Server\GatherDB” “GatherIntervalSeconds”=3600 (dword)

Ben

Is there anything written anywhere on the HCL web sites that a customer can see and understand on how our patch release / cadence works?