How is 'operating system' determined for Linux?

How does BigFix determine what the Linux kernel and OS are?

The OS for this picture is incorrect, but the kernel version is correct.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how the kernel and OS names are gathered for Linux, when used by the standard “operating system” relevance?

This says this isn’t a supported distro. When the OS is unrecognized you will get the kernel version. Internally a uname call is made and the /etc distro files are examined

Which OS/Distro is this?

Thanks Alan!

The v4.1.2 is Scientific Linux, and the 4.4.7 is CentOS 5. So that makes sense as far as “not supported” goes.

When you say /etc distro files, are you talking about *-release files? If so, which ones?

Figure I’ll want to make a custom attribute and wanted to mimic what BF does natively as close as possible.

Thanks.

Chris

CentOS should be supported. What version of the client are you using? I think its not 9.5 as I changed it to be clear this was a kernel version. If they are both Scientific then yeah that’s technically not a supported distro

For Redhat/CentOS it would be redhat-release.

We’re still on 9.2, and I am thinking that Cent 5 was not supported on 9.2, but Cent 6 & 7 were.

Been waiting until we heard enough good news about 9.5 upgrades before we migrate.