How is BigFix secure? Authentication or Protocol used in BigFix for Secure communitation

Hi BigFix masters,

1. How we can prove that all communication is secure? Is there anything we can prove with client logs or something else?
  2. What encryption methods are currently used.
  3. How secure is the communication between BES Clients and BES Relays (and Relay to Relay / Root as well),
  4. How is the BES Client/BES Relay initial handshake handled?
  5. When we create a Software distribution package, which which security authentication is used there ?

I need to share this content with my security team exactly how BigFix secures all of its communication, and how each endpoint trusts the infrastructure.

I tried searching for the documents but i have not found any, i need to share this report with the team.

Thanks in Advance
KK

2 Likes

There is a private key that is the root of trust for all bigfix content in your environment. Only the root server has a copy of it. Access to this private key and BESAdmin is secured with a password.

The matching public key is in the masthead file that is required for clients to join and trust the bigfix root server. With this public key they can validate all content the bigfix root server provides. Since all content is signed with the private key and validated with this public key, it isn’t possible for someone to modify bigfix content and actions and get downstream clients to accept it, even if they had compromised a bigfix relay and directly modified files. This means even without any encryption, you can’t get BigFix clients to accept or run something arbitrary.

In the default setup, any client with the masthead can join a bigfix environment, but this is no longer the case if you enable “Client Authentication” on the relays. At this point, a client can only join bigfix if they have a prior connection and have attained a client certificate. This is the “right” way to have BigFix relays that allow connections from outside the corp network. (DMZ relays) You could also enable this for internal relays, but then you must provide an extra mechanism for all clients to join bigfix, which could be a password or a one time token.

I believe all content is gathered from relays over SSL, as well as any client reports sent up to relays is over SSL. But there is actually an additional protection available called Message Encryption. If enabled in BESAdmin, then client reports are additionally encrypted at rest such that only the root server or top level relays can decrypt them. This added protection is such that if a BigFix relay were to be compromised, then client reports being passed to that relay could not be decrypted unless it happened to be a “decrypting relay” which is generally only the root server or top level relays.

Relays do send UDP notifications to clients. These notifications themselves are not encrypted or secured, but they also do not contain any content. They only serve to let clients know that there is something new for it to gather, at which point the client reaches out over a secure TCP connection to get the content from the relay. This allows BigFix clients to be responsive without having to wait around for them to check for new content on an interval and instead check nearly real time.

There is some good related discussion about BigFix DMZ / Cloud DMZ Relays and how to secure them starting here: Relay Selection Over VPN with Split Tunneling

Someone from the BigFix platform team could give more details on how it works, but there should also be some documentation about it. CC: @AlanM

3 Likes

See the documentation for Client Authentication.

Communication using an authenticated relay is a two-way trusted and private communication channel that uses SSL to encrypt all communications. However, communication between a non-authenticating relay and its children is not encrypted unless it is an encrypted report or a mailboxed action or file.

2 Likes

Ah, that is the clarification I was looking for. Apparently it is not SSL unless using client authentication.

I just realized I didn’t fully answer this part.

BigFix content uses prefetches to download software for installation. The prefetch itself is in the content and can’t be modified because the content itself is signed. The prefetch includes the Size of the payload, the SHA1, and SHA256. The size and hashes are used to ensure the payload that is downloaded has not been modified.

Do also consider the advanced security settings in the BESAdmin tool. If you turn this on, TLS 1.2 will be used for all the Server <> Relay <> Client communication. Under the same configuration tab, you can configure the use of SHA256 as well.

1 Like

Note: With 1.2 TLS, it’s necessary to modify several other pieces in the BES stack as well.

Web Reports requires the property _WebReports_HTTPServer_RequireTLS12 = 1

Notification service steps:

1. Open \BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\Applications\NotificationService\apps\ns-notifier\app\server\notifier_server.js

2. Towards the bottom of that file, add the line highlighted (and don’t forget to add the comma to the end of the ‘passphrase’ line too)
    var options = { key: key, cert: cert, passphrase: ‘CBFACC092A654f2bBF06EF73FCA3DA41’, secureProtocol: ‘TLSv1_2_server_method’ };

3. Identify and kill any processes associated with the NS’s notifier component

Note1: Change is supposed to stay through BigFix upgrades.
Note2: BigFix is considering modifying task 2240 with an option to configure the notification service to use TLS 1.2 (01/02/2020 - Ticket CS0074217)

Hi Everyone, Thank you for your response i was able to create the report and submit it to my security team.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

KK

1 Like

I don’t know if you can share the report, but that would be cool if you could, would be curious to read it.

Hi @jgstew Thanks for the above clarification for my issue and sorry for replying so late as i was busy with all my other activities, yes i will share you my report once i get the final version of the report. There have been a lot of changes in the report and i am still in the process of making it. Once i am done with the final report i will surely share it here.

Thanks and regards,

KK

1 Like

Two things:

1. Task to upate the server_notfication.js – BES Support site, ID 4597 - release date 4/28/2020
    Task: Enable TLS 1.2 for Notification Service

2. How does it handle fixlets which reference http:// like most of the Microsoft fixlets referencing http://download.windowsupdate.com/xxx

• is there a way to force all of these downloads to use https?
    • any ability to force some sites always to use https and others not, without having to rewrite the fixlet reference?

Thank you

1 Like

Are there any additional protections when we start talking about 10.0.4 of Bigfix?

I get concerned when I see articles like this,

but that references v9 stuff.

I don’t think there are any significant differences between the versions with respect to that article.
That’s about Relay Authentication, which absolutely should be turned on for any Internet-facing relays.

Do you know what TLS version 10.0.4 uses for authenticated relays? I assume 1.2?

If you enable Enhanced Security with the BESAdmin Tool, then it’s TLS 1.2 exclusively. With Enhanced Security turned off, I’m not certain but it supports at least 1.1 and possibly even 1.0

With enhanced off, does it try to negotiate 1.2, then 1.1, then 1.0 or 1.1 then 1.0?

I’d have to defer to someone else (maybe @AlanM).

With enhanced off, it won’t have tls 1.2. I had an environment in that state and it only tried 1.0. Enabling enhanced mode enabled tl1.2 for us

So, no way to have it try to call 1.1 first? even though that has already been hacked.

You could enable Enhanced Security to force TLS 1.2 only.