How do you change BF server serial number?

We have a BF server with serial “x”. At some point our serial number has changed and I need to reup the license on the server. How do you do this without reinstalling the server? Thanks!

The serial number associated with a license cannot be changed (they’re tied together), and similarly, a given BigFix server instance is tied to a specific license (with associated serial number).

Do you have multiple serial numbers defined in the License Portal (https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0091966) and if so, are they allocated properly?

Hi Aram, I see only one SN and think our current one is a holdover from back when IBM owned BigFix. I guess the only way out of this mess is to build a new environment and switch clients over? Support wasn’t much help. I keep getting 403 errors stating I don’t have access to support and when I do open a case “as a guest” I get a generic message on how to update the license in the portal (which I can already do) followed with “this case is now closed. to reopen please follow the link to the case”. Rinse and repeat, no access to support.

Just to make sure I’m understanding properly, the serial number of the BigFix instance in question is different than the serial number you’re seeing in the License Portal?

I might message you directly for additional details outside of this open topic.

Hi Aram,
Yes, we have a different serial number. I was able to get to someone in licensing support and they were able to change the license assignments to our existing SN. Thanks!