How do I stop Java update files from being delete from cache?

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

I download the Java updates manually and put them in the cache directory with them named as the SHA-1 file hash.

At some point the files get deleted from the cache directory and the fixlet gets stuck at pending download.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

The Server and relays have a static cache size. It can be increased, which may help. However, the cache is first in first out. As other things get downloaded into the cache anything else that’s not being used as often will eventually be pushed out.

You can take another step to make it permanent.

The action to upload java has the following line:

prefetch jre-1_5_0_22-windows-i586-p.exe sha1:f9c7cc03c163bee0f6e5e830b9256913e7ea0faa size:17516320 http://www.sun.com/MANUAL_BES_CACHING_REQUIRED/jre-1_5_0_22-windows-i586-p.exe

1. Download the file “jre-1_5_0_22-windows-i586-p.exe”

2. Place it on your BigFix server (or other repository) where it can be served via HTTP under wwwrootbes. For instance I would put it here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\wwwrootbes\Uploads\Adobe\jre-1_5_0_22-windows-i586-p.exe

1. Create a custom copy of the Fixlet and update the URL. For instance in this case the action would be:

prefetch jre-1_5_0_22-windows-i586-p.exe sha1:f9c7cc03c163bee0f6e5e830b9256913e7ea0faa size:17516320 http://YOUR_BIGFIX_SERVER/Uploads/Adobe/jre-1_5_0_22-windows-i586-p.exe

Once you do this that folder in the Uploads folder is not subject to first in first out cache management.

Hope this helps.

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Thank you for your help. That did solve my problem.

(imported comment written by IsaiahSchisler)

That’s a great way to do it as well.

As an alternative we created a directory that we place all the new java updated exe’s saved as the sha-1 name and have a task manager job that checks if they already exist in the wwwrootbes directory every 10 min and if not copies it over from the directory we created.

Both ways have their pros and cons, but at least this way you don’t have to edit every Java update fixlet.

1 Like