How do I create my own "external" site?

(imported topic written by LarryKlaus)

We have a small TEM server/infrastructure in a lab (call it DEV), in which we develop custom Tasks for installing application software. There is a separate large TEM server/infrastructure (call it PROD) that is used to deploy patches to our production servers.

How do I create my own external site such that I can share or otherwise make available the custom Tasks we develop in the DEV TEM server? The PROD TEM server would then subscribe to this custom External site, just like it does to all the IBM/BigFix “Patches for xxx” sites.

I cannot find anything about creating such an External site in the documentation nor the Knowledge Base.

Thanks,

Larry

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

You could always export the fixlets from your DEV environment and import them into your Production site as .BES files.

(imported comment written by LarryKlaus)

Tim, yes we’re aware of the export and import capability. But we would rather have a more elegant, native solution so we don’t have to manage the storage and distribution of a .bes file. We would like those we authorize to simply be able to subscribe to our own external site.

So, all you BigFix/TEM IBM developers… Is the External Site capability being reserved only for IBM’s use or can anyone do it? I cannot find it discussed in the Admin guide.

Thanks,

Larry

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

Unfortunately, there is no way to setup and run your own content servers. As mentioned, you can create your own custom content (and custom sites for a single deployment) but you can’t create a content server that feeds multiple deployments.

(imported comment written by LarryKlaus)

Well, I have marked this question “answered”, but I’m not really happy with the answer :slight_smile:

1 Like