how do I add a new AIX client computer to BigFix?

Hi,
I am new to BigFix 10 and ILMT 9.2
I have tried to follow the documentation about installing AIX Agent/BESClient, get the masthead file downloaded and set in the /etc/opt/BESClient directory.
After starting the /etc/rc.d/BESClient start I actually see no BESClientd process.
In BigFix no new computer (this AIX client) is seen.

What am I missing, how do I add a new AIX client agent to BigFix?

(final aim is to sw scan by ILMT 9.2)

Thanks, Igor

@imerku, welcome to BigFix! I’d recommend reviewing the AIX installation wiki. If the issue persists, then I’d recommend opening a support case with our L2 team.

Hi @cmcannady - thanks for the welcome and for your reply.
I thought I followed the AIX installation instructions correctly, but something went wrong with producing the masthead file. With the url I got a text output, some readable header info and some encoded stuff. 18 kByte.

IBM Support showed me where the log file to look at is: /var/opt/BESClient/__BESData/__Global/Logs (didn’t find that info on the documentation) and there it was: Client shutdown (Failed loading action site masthead)
So I went back to the BigFix/ILMT server and made a file search for masthead.afxm and I found a 54 kByte file.
Uploaded it to the client, restart and … BINGO!

Thanks for your reply and have a nice day.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that it worked out.

It would be nice if the NIX BES agents didn’t require the manual creation of /etc/opt/BESClient and placement of actionsite.afxm under it, but @jgstew and I have scripts in our respective GitHub repos that can handle this if you’re interested.

1 Like