How about a "tips" category?

Sometimes I want to post things that are random tips or tricks, or things I am working on that don’t really fit on http://bigfix.me/

It seems like there could be a tips or some other category that could be used to post helpful things that are not so much questions.

Example:
Here is a way to find out what action headers are available:

delete __appendfile
appendfile {concatenation ", " of (name of it & ":" & value of it) of headers of active action}

Example: (an existing post)

5 Likes

Additionally, in the case of the first example above, it would be interesting if BigFix.me had a good way to share actionscript snippets in a similar way that relevance can be shared by itself.

jgstew, your timing is pretty great…

I was just about to announce a place on bigfix github for things like that, sort of like a best of “tips/tricks” guide for relevance, actionscript, and session relevance…

I’m going to make a separate post on that a little bit later, but for now, it’s here at:

https://github.com/bigfix/authoring-guide

Feel free to submit pull requests for other helpful things!

1 Like

how about tagging in the content authoring category or others ?
github is one step too far removed for me, benefit of the forum is ability to search, star items that are relevant, and get the feedback from others.

2 Likes

I think I agree with gearoid. I like the idea of the something for snippets like bigfix.me and maybe a forum post as well that connects them together, but github and pull requests seems like a bit much for sharing snippets. More involved code would make more sense for github.

1 Like

This is interesting. I think I buy the idea that it should be broken up for searchability… I bet we can make this happen.

1 Like

Newbie here on this forum. Love the idea of a tips category!

Would a “Tips” category as a sub-category of Content Authoring be the right place, do you think?

1 Like

Maybe, but I suppose tips could be broader than just content authoring. Hard to say exactly.

Part of the issue is that “Content Authoring” typically refers to Relelvance and/or ActionScript, but not usually Session Relevance, which is typically instead categorized with WebReports, even though Session Relevance might be considered “Content Authoring” as well.

Tips could encompass all of these types and more. For instance, I wouldn’t consider KB articles on using the console any of the above, though it could be a Tip.

I see, so you want “Tips” to be a top-level category? To help me out, could you take a stab at writing a short description that we could use for the category description? Something that would help others understand what types of posts belong in “Tips”?

1 Like

How about:

Tips, Tricks, and other helpful posts.

This category is less about asking questions, and more for posting helpful items you are working on, links to helpful resources, or anything similar.

1 Like

Cool, thanks @jgstew. Category created!

2 Likes