HKCU registry based relevance not working after first application

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

I have a task that will apply a regfix whenever it detects a change in registry keys for logged in users in their current user registry settings. The task will execute the first time around but whenever a subsequent change (such as a key deletion) is made, the relevance fails to detect the changes, and consequently, the action is not applied. The logged in user is typically active directories based and the _BESClient_Inspector_ActiveDirectory_Refresh_Seconds property is currently set to 1200. I’m aware of the load that frequent queries will place on AD concentrators of very large sites but that doesn’t seem to be an issue for our setup as it currently stands.

Relevances:

(1) name of operating system contains “WinXP” OR name of operating system contains “Win7”

(2) exists logged on users

(3) exists keys “{5C6E65F3-C2DD-45E5-9EEA-EA930872DF41}” whose (value “DisplayVersion” of it as string as version >= “7.10.1157” as version AND value “Language” of it as string = “1033”) of keys “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of registry

(4)not(exist key “Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\Integration” of current user keys (logged on users) whose (exists value “UseAdvancedMenu” of it) of registry) OR not(exist key “Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\History\English\38\FastFindBy\ID4762” of current user keys (logged on users) whose (exists value “Count” of it) of registry) OR not(exist key “Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\History\English\38\0\Dlg16412\ID2333” of current user keys (logged on users) whose (exists value “Count” of it) of registry)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

cheers

Peter

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Peter,

Make sure you use the Take Action Dialog option in the Reapply section to reapply “while relevant” as opposed to “whenever it becomes relevant again”

The latter will wait until the action becomes unrelevant and then re-relevant to run again.

Ben

(imported comment written by cj1969)

I was told that for an action to become relevant again that it had to equate to false unpon completion of the execution of the actionscript … in a case like this I was told to select the option, like Ben indicated BUT to also set a time on it (i.e. waiting 15 minutes) … at least in version 7.2 I was told that this made the action wait and equate to false so that it would then become relevant again.

Ben, do you know if this still holds true?

It was somebody in BigFix support that told me this.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

I am trying to remember if there was some sort of issue with 7.2 reapply behavior… If you can make it go false first, it will probably help a lot…

Ben

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

This is the thing tho, the action script IS setting the relevance to false. To confirm this, I executed the following query on the relevance debugger and its evaluationg false. The BES inspector/client tho is NOT recognizing the change in relevance, and this is the issue.

relevance to be run on debugger as a logged in user:

((((name of operating system contains “WinXP” OR name of operating system contains “Win7”) AND (exists logged on users)) AND (computer name contains “COMMSROOMPC”)) AND (exists keys “{5C6E65F3-C2DD-45E5-9EEA-EA930872DF41}” whose (value “DisplayVersion” of it as string as version >= “7.10.1157” as version AND value “Language” of it as string = “1033”) of keys “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of registry)) AND not(exist key “HKCU\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\Integration” whose (exists value “UseAdvancedMenu” of it) of registry) OR not(exist key “HKCU\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\History\English\38\FastFindBy\ID4762” whose (exists value “Count” of it) of registry) OR not(exist key “HKCU\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\History\English\38\0\Dlg16412\ID2333” whose (exists value “Count” of it) of registry).

What I’m going to try is to define a success criteria for a completed execution (which in its current behaviour should fail the first time) and set it to retry 30 mins later up to 99 times. 30 mins because the min time for AD local user query is 20 mins as set by the following BES property BESClient_Inspector_ActiveDirectory_Refresh_Seconds 1200, in case this has any bearing on the relevance and execution of the task. Will see how this goes…

I thought the HKCU hive wasn’t available to the Agent?

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

It’s not that we can’t get to it, it’s just that we see it as SYSTEM rather than as a specific user. More info here:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14747944