Hide a property from Web Reports?

Is there a way to “Hide” a property from Web Reports?

We would like to start using BigFix to gather the BitLocker Recovery Keys rather than rely on MBAM.

The problem we are faced with is that we have a LOT of internal staff who have access to Web Reports, and management doesn’t want them to have access to the BitLocker Recovery keys.

There sure is. https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Config/r_client_set.html?hl=blacklist

_WebReports_Properties_Blacklist
This setting allows you to enumerate the set of properties that are blacklisted for Web Reports.

Set the value for this setting from the BigFix Console, by selecting the computer on which the Web Reports component is installed and using the Edit Computer Settings dialog.

Upon start-up, the Web Reports component reads this setting, and while loading properties from the server, it discards any property whose name matches with one of those specified. Use the symbol “|” as a separator.

For example:

_WebReports_Properties_Blacklist=Installed Applications Windows|Services - Windows|OS Type - Windows

means that none of the values associated to these properties will be displayed in Web Reports.

This means also that the specified properties:

• Cannot be selected in the Computer page.

• Cannot be included in a report.

• If any of those were included in a saved report, as soon as the report is opened, the Web Reports component notifies the user that one or more properties specified do not exist, and it does not include them in the report.
    Note: Do not specify basic properties, such as the built-in ones, among the blacklisted properties to avoid undesired behaviors.

8 Likes

Thank you Duncan i was not aware of this myself and had other customers asking. Good to know

Just be careful that it will require ongoing management because of the way it was implemented - i.e. you need to explicitly list WHICH properties need to be hidden, so by default any new properties created will not be.

I do have RFE (BFP-I-99) to expand the functionality into “whitelisting” too where you can specify the exact list of properties you want WR to display and unless you change it just always works with those, so new stuff is automatically hidden but it hasn’t been delivered yet. Vote if you think it has merit.

Thanks for the information Duncan!

I’m curious, @TimRice, how do you plan to gather and upload the keys? And where do you intend to store them?