Hidden Actions - When users modify / create a manual group

(imported topic written by murtasma91)

Just discovered we have hundreds of actions (something like 600) that are hidden but currently open. Most of these actions are related to console operators creating manual groups, modifying membership of these manual groups and removal of these groups. I stopped all of these manual group actions if they were older then 3 months. This really got our open action count down but it’s still something I’m working on reducing. Most of the problem at this point is just console operator’s leaving actions open forever even if it’s not a policy action. This is more of an education / training / best practice issue then anything.

These hidden actions build up quickly. It would be really great if by default the actions did not stay open forever or even better as a master operator we have a gobal setting that controls how long actions related to manual groups are left open.

I think it’s pretty safe to say if a machine has not finished processing the request within a few months it’s just not going to happen or it’s a workstation that is no longer “active”. I’m not really sure why these manual group actions are hidden. I often get asked questions as to why a machine has not shown up in a manual group yet. If console operators could see the status of their own group changes it could empower them to discover and resovle problems on their own.

On a related note it would be nice if an action has no end date something like “Policy Action” is automatically added to the front of the action name to make finding these actions easier.

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

murtasma

On a related note it would be nice if an action has no end date something like “Policy Action” is automatically added to the front of the action name to make finding these actions easier.

This is actually our internal procedure (we just use the word "Policy - "), but if we could have this done for us when selecting our preset called “Policy” that would rock.

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

Ask and you shall receive: in the v8 Console expand any Action entry in the tree and look in the “with no end date” node.

(imported comment written by murtasma91)

Sweet :slight_smile: Does Version 8 still produce hidden actions when working with manual groups?

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

noah

Ask and you shall receive: in the v8 Console expand any Action entry in the tree and look in the “with no end date” node.

Noah - is there a way to filter this in web reports? I took a quick look and don’t see anything exposed, so I am guessing a custom report?

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

Yeah… Web Reports does not have that built-in… so, at the moment you have to use a custom report

like this one