Help With Office 365 2013 Click to run deployment

Good Afternoon everyone. Im very new to bigfix so please bare with me. at present we are attempting to deploy Office 365 2013 via a network share and are not having great results. I have created a package under software distribution that copies the setup.exe file and configuration.xml. I then run the following command setup.exe /configure. I have tested this manually with no issues however as part of a larger baseline the install reports back as failed. See below

Failed parameter “returnCode” = “{exit code of action}”
// Task will now exit.
exit {parameter “returnCode”}
//**End Closing Marker

Has anyone else been successful in deploying in this manner? I assume this is failing because Bigfix has no way of knowing if office has finished installing?

Hi,
You can create a bat for the office 365 network share and use the bat file from bigfix swd wizard with run command, might be it will work in my environment

Thanks for that Nagaraj, however the actual deployment is successful. I can see the program is installed on the laptop. I think this is more the fact that Bigfix does not see that the install has finished and therefore reports an error. Ideally i think i need some sort of relevance/action script/post install action that checks the installation. Unfortunately I’ve only been using the product for a month so I’m a little unsure where to start.

Further to this i have now managed to use the following relevance to find the uninstall sting in the registry

exists keys whose (exists value “DisplayName” whose (it as string contains “Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus - en-us” ) of it) of keys “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of (x64 registries;x32 registries)

My Question is now how would i add this to the action script to ensure it runs this check before completing?

1 Like

You may try the following in your action script.

pause while {not exists keys whose (exists value "DisplayName" whose (it as string contains "Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus - en-us" ) of it) of keys "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" of (x64 registries;x32 registries)}

You would need to post the actionscript or log for the steps that occur before this line. The error implies that there was no return code from the previous statements.

do you have tutorial deployment O365 2016?

Hi Fahrii nothing written yet ill be documenting next month when we roll out 365 to the business

how about your deployment Office 365 2013 via a network share? success?

Hi wmaxted1981 - Did you ever finish your deployment and document it? I am running into alot of roadblocks and would love any info on a successful deployment of Office 365 via BigFix.

If you wan to contact me privately, I will share with you my fixlets and instructions and you can take it from there. O365 deployment using cloud install via the ODT is very straightforward. Your XML files will almost never need to change and you need only update the ODT (setup.exe) when there is a new version.

Note the follow:

• Installation is for O365 and Cloud install only (no UNC paths)
  • Installation will not display install to the user as it installs as System, so manage your Message tab as you feel fit
  • Installation will remove any MSI Office installs first if they exist
  • These disable Bing Search as the default

4 Likes

How do I send a message direct? Sorry, I am new to the BigFix forum. What I did is download the ODT files, configure the XML and then setup the actionscript. But, the problem I have is that our Company has so many different versions of Office (Office 2010 Pro, Office 2010 Home and Business, Office 2013 Volume license, Office 2013 Business, Office 2016 KMS, etc. - you get the idea). So, I went ahead and setup the “Remove-PreviousOfficeInstalls.ps1” script with all the associated “OfficeScrub” scripts in the same folder as setup.exe and the ODT folder with the office installation. No matter what I do, I cant seem to get this to work on the target machine(s).

Let me detail my setup:
STEP 1: I downloaded the “Remove-PreviousOfficeInstalls.ps1” from here: github. com /OfficeDev/Office-IT-Pro-Deployment-Scripts/tree/master/Office-ProPlus-Deployment/Remove-PreviousOfficeInstalls, then set the parameter defaults in the script that I wanted (rather than passing the Parameters, as I was worried that was causing issues) and saved it to a folder I created called “Office 365.” I also saved all the associated “OffScrubXXXX” vbs scripts in the same directory - If you aren’t aware of this script, the “Remove-PreviousInstall.ps1” script acts as a master script to first detect the version(s) of Office installed, then make sure all Office programs are closed, and even does a quick windows explorer restart to clear any open handles on Office files so that the uninstall is successful. Once it does that, it proceeds to uninstall all versions of Office detected. This works great when running the script locally.
STEP 2:
I downloaded the Office Deployment Tool and configured it using this page: docs .microsoft. com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool. All office files downloaded succesfully, and I configured my xml file. Running the "setup.exe /configure Install-Office365-32bit.xml” from the local machine works perfectly with my expected results.
STEP 3:
I then created a batchscript to run the 2 above processes one after the other (first uninstall script, then install office). This works beautifully every time without issue. I also tested this under the system account with PSEXEC and it worked beautifully. My quick and dirty batchscript containts just these 2 lines:
powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command .\Remove-PreviousOfficeInstalls.ps1
cmd.exe /C "setup.exe /configure Install-Office365-32bit.xml"
STEP 4:
I finally setup the package in BigFix using the Software Deployment wizard, and it uploaded all my scripts and office setup.exe along with my xml file and the ODT folder. I then got to the action script pane and used the following:

extract 636529b0226962734afa00f711c9d5c321acfcd1
// Disable wow64 redirection on x64 OSes
action uses wow64 redirection {not x64 of operating system}
wait { pathname of file ((it as string) of value "Path" of key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\ShellIds\Microsoft.PowerShell" of native registry) } -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File .\Remove-PreviousOfficeInstalls.ps1
wait cmd.exe /C “__Download\setup.exe /configure Install-Office365-32bit.xml”

I used information from your forum posts along with many others to come to this point. For some reason the action says completed successfully on the office removal powershell script, yet nothing is removed, then it stays on “running” on the setup.exe portion and never installs! I eventually have to just kill it. Sometimes it even locks up the setup.exe file to where it cant delete it from the __downloads folder and my next test gets stuck with the error in the deployment log “Cannot empty _Download directory”. So I then manually kill the office setup via task manager and manually delete the file so I can run my next test deployment.

I am seriously hitting a wall here… and any help is greatly appreciated. I am normally the guy that chimes in on TechNet and Spiceworks to offer help, but I’ve never had to be a poster. I am running out of ideas to try and have no one else that knows BigFix well enough to help me in my network circle. I have tried to copy the scripts and files to the local c:\temp\ODT\ folder and run from there. I have tried different ways to call Powershell with execution policy bypass. I have tried different ways to call the setup.exe with the configure command.

My XML file has this configuration:

<Configuration ID="b2c27316-22bc-4863-9380-8bc8ec377ca5">
  <Info Description="32 bit install of Office 365, ignore visio and project." />
  <Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Broad">
    <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">
      <Language ID="en-us" />
	  <ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="InfoPath" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
	  <ExcludeApp ID="Project" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="SharePointDesigner" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Skype" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Skypeforbusiness" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Visio" />
    </Product>
  </Add>
  <Property Name="SharedComputerLicensing" Value="0" />
  <Property Name="PinIconsToTaskbar" Value="TRUE" />
  <Property Name="SCLCacheOverride" Value="0" />
  <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="0" />
  <Property Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN" Value="TRUE" />
  <Property Name="DeviceBasedLicensing" Value="0" />
  <RemoveMSI>
    <IgnoreProduct ID="PrjPro" />
    <IgnoreProduct ID="PrjStd" />
    <IgnoreProduct ID="VisPro" />
    <IgnoreProduct ID="VisStd" />
  </RemoveMSI>
  <AppSettings>
    <Setup Name="Company" Value="USRES, Inc." />
    <User Key="software\microsoft\office\16.0\excel\options" Name="defaultformat" Value="51" Type="REG_DWORD" App="excel16" Id="L_SaveExcelfilesas" />
    <User Key="software\microsoft\office\16.0\powerpoint\options" Name="defaultformat" Value="27" Type="REG_DWORD" App="ppt16" Id="L_SavePowerPointfilesas" />
    <User Key="software\microsoft\office\16.0\word\options" Name="defaultformat" Value="" Type="REG_SZ" App="word16" Id="L_SaveWordfilesas" />
  </AppSettings>
  <Updates Enabled="TRUE" Channel="Broad" />
  <Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
  <Logging Level="Standard" Path="%temp%" />
</Configuration>

Everything else is default, minus configuring default values in the remove office powershell script, which again - works perfectly when running locally, even under psexec as local system account.

PS: I had to break the url links to allow me to post, kept getting “new users not allowed to post links” from this BigFix forum. Also, it keeps hiding the xml file I am trying to post, so I had to get around it by posting a pic of the XML.

You need to format the code and xml in code tags - highlight it and click the icon that looks like </> above the editor window. I already fixed your post for it though.

1 Like

Sweet, thanks Jason!

@wmaxted1981 Did you ever work out your deployment?