Having issue with deploying the new offer in the SSA catalog

When clicking on the new offer in the SSA Catalog, the installation did start, but after a day it is still uncompleted. By looking at the log file I didn’t find any error. Kindly advise.

First guess , it sounds like your installer is waiting on some user input. BigFix runs as system on Windows so it doesn’t show the UI of your installer. Therefore if user input is needed to complete the install it just “hangs”. Make sure your install command is silent (no UI) so it runs without the need of user input OR you can try using the “Run Command As” options that are available when you create/edit a task.

Hi Dmccalla, I am new to BigFix, would you be able to provide some example?
Previously, I have also tried the silent command, but it doesnt seems to work too. It will also “Hangs” there before continue it.

If you haven’t already tried then I would install the software manually on the same computer you are trying to deploy to making sure you are using the exact same command line options and the same installer file(s) that you entered into BigFix. Observe how it behaves - if it doesn’t require any user interaction (accepting license terms, etc.) then post back here. Other potential issues that could cause this would be that the package (the files you uploaded into BigFix) is missing something like a config file, etc. but not exiting gracefully.

Hi Dmccalla,

I tried the following command and got an message saying “Action Failed”:
Run cmd.exe / c "\\user\programs$\Office 2021\setup.exe /configure "\\user\programs$\Office 2021\configuration.xml" /silent

From the log itself, I cant find any error message, I saw the following line:
"Command succeeded run cmd.exe / c "\\user\programs$\Office 2021\setup.exe /configure "\\user\programs$\Office 2021\configuration.xml" /silent (action:250) AT 09:13:49 +0800 - ActionLogMessage: (action:250) ending action"

Fyi, I created the above action as a custom fixlet using the BigFix Console.

I reformatted your post with code tags to make it readable.

A lot to unpack there. Do you actually have a Server named “User”, with a share on it called “programs$”?
The BigFix client is running as Local system, it won’t have access to server shares. You’ll need to download the installer and run it locally (the Software Distribution Dashboard can help you with that).
The command line also has quoting in the wrong places, you’ll need to fix that too.

Hi Jason,

Yes, I have a server name named as “user” and a shared folder named as “programs”. Is there any log file I can refer where it wont have access to server shares? Are you able to highlight to me which of my command line quoting in the wrong places?

Yeah Jason is correct. This will not work in its current format. You would have to authenticate to the share before running any commands and that gets into passing credentials and, in my opinion, just way too much work to simply install software. Its also not something easily answered here in the forums.

We do have the very capable “Software Distribution” solution (part of Lifecycle Mgmt suite) and even the feature-limited, but still capable “Windows Software Distribution” wizard in the BES Support site that you can use to get the install files into BigFix and distributed for install.

IN your case, you have 2 files needed for the install so you would need to use the Software Distribution wizard that comes with Lifecycle Mgmt (not the “freebie” one in BES Support site) so you can add multiple files to your install “package”. BigFix will handle transferring the files down to the client for you. You might need to add in some checks to make sure the software isn’t already installed, etc. and the wizard allows for this too.
Then all you have to do is enter the command line into the SWD wizard as if you were local to the machine like this…

setup.exe /configure configuration.xml /silent

Here is a video that might help … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_d_VZs6wgY

1 Like

Thanks, I will take a look at the link.
By the way whenI tried deploying the Adobe Reader (as a new offer) in the SSA catalog. The adobe reader is installed in my machine but got an message saying “Action Failed, contact your IT administrator for more details”. Please advise.

Going to need more details in order to help you on this one. “contact your IT administrator for more details” is not a typical BigFix message. “Action Failed” is.

What other information do you need?

I have tried publish a new offer to the SSA, but it doesnt appear in the SSA catalog. Please advise.

I’d suggest you open a support case at this point. I think they can help you better. The Forum is kind of limited in how far we can go. What you are asking for would require something like a Webex session, log reviews, etc.