Getting IBM Server IMM firmware version?

Hi All,

I’m currently using WMI to get the driver/firmware versions of various pieces of hardware in our IBM servers. I have not been able to find a way to use WMI to get the firmware version of the IMM.

Just wondering if there is a native query for this, or am I perhaps missing a WMI class that will do this for me?

Use IBM’s ASU (Advanced Settings Utility) to dump the IMM config to a file. Then you can parse the output either with an analysis or use the results to key relevance to your tasks. The ASU is also a great way to create and automate a template for IMM configs via Bigfix.

asu64 show>c:\temp\IMM-config.txt

ASU guide
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x_pdf/ibm_util_asu_asu86d_anyos_noarch.pdf

ASU tool
https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/myportal/docdisplay?lndocid=TOOL-ASU

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the tip.

I’m going to bump this because I am also trying to gather the IMM firmware version via bigfix, but the ASU example provided shows a lot of information about the IMM… but not the actual firmware version.

I’ve scoured the ASU guide pretty thoroughly but see no mention about the IMM firmware in there. Does anyone have any other ideas?

1 Like

If you find a way to get the IMM firmware version through the command line and provide examples, then I can help implement that with BigFix, but I don’t know anything about it otherwise.

I would see if any of the relevance I provided here helps with BIOS/FW version or release date: BIOS Updates & Configuration using BigFix

In general, I would recommend looking at the DMI or SMBIOS. On a Linux/Unix system, it may also be readable from a file on the system somewhere, like: /etc/version

If you can figure out how to get the info without BigFix and let me know how, then it is just a matter of adapting that to BigFix, which is generally pretty straight forward.

Related:

@eboth225 the ASU tool still works for older IBM/Lenovo servers.

Lenovo has released ‘OneCLI’ to consolidate a variety of systems management tools. Give this a try:

OneCLI download

OneCLI User Guide

1 Like