FQDN short name vs long

Have a situation in my console where the computer name shown for a client differs from the dns name. Two situations that I need to correct.

1. change computer name to correct dns name (FQDN) in console
    2, change both dns and computer name to FQDN in console

If you are referring to what appears in “Computer Name” property then that is not configurable at all - you can’t change it unless you go on the OS and renamed the machine’s name to be whatever you want (and that is what will appear in BigFix console). For Windows it’s a bit limited on OS-level as they still have 16 character limitation but on Unix/Linux you can put whatever you want.

Otherwise, you can always create a custom property and write whatever logic you want…if you want you can do: if (computer name = "X") then ("X.domain.com") else if (computer name = "Y.domain2.com") then ("Y.domain3.com") else (computer name)

Are you saying that I can change the computer name using custom property? How do I perform this

No, I am saying you create a custom property and use that instead of “Computer Name” for whatever your purpose you need it. As I said, you cannot change “Computer Name” or any reserved property for that matter in any way, so if the custom property doesn’t suit you then the only alternative as mentioned is consider OS-level changes on the endpoints.

1 Like