Fixletdebugger.exe Command Line

Hello,

I was hoping to test actionscript and relevance via the command line of FixletDebugger.exe as it seems to provide that functionality:

FixletDebugger [filename] [/e inputfile outputfile] [/a inputfile outputfile] [/err errorfile] [/help] [/h] [/?]

/e -- Evaluate the relevance in 'inputfile' and place the results in 'outputfile'
/a -- Evaluate the actionscript in 'inputfile' and place the log in 'outputfile'
/err -- Specify fatal error log file location 'errorfile'.  Default: err.log in the executable directory.
/h or /help or /? -- Print this message

I was running it like this:

fixletdebugger.exe /e inputfile outputfile

It was always returning this:

Fatal Error!

Relevance evaluation failed!

With an inputfile of:

Q: computer name

I found this old post that seemed to have the same issue: Command-line parameters for Fixlet Debugger

After some playing around it appears that Fixlet Debugger on the command line wants the full path to the file – not just a relative path to it. Once I provided the full path of both the input file and the output file the command line FixletDebugger.exe started working.

Just thought I’d share!

2 Likes

I do wish that it was possible to provide the relevance directly on the command line, and have the result appear on standard output instead of to a file, or even have the option of using an input file and have the result on standard output.

CC: @AlanM

I am writing a powershell wrapper around it that lets me get this on the command line.

The issue I have at the moment is I can’t figure out a way to silence the action part of the FixletDebugger.exe

Every time I run an action on the command line it shows a GUI prompt like, “Action has completed. Pending restart”. I don’t see any command line switches to silence it.

Any ideas from anyone on the team?

Command Line:
fixletdebugger.exe /a “PathToQnA\in” “PathToQnA\out”

“\in” contains just “run cmd.exe”

“run cmd.exe” does this and doesn’t return to the calling program until, “OK” is pressed.

1 Like

I’m also noticing this fun issue where when you run an action via the GUI it runs out of:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\__BESData\__FixletDebugger

But when you pass the action over the command line it runs out of
C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client

And then if you try to do wait in the action it sets the working directory to…
C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\__BESData\

Yay…

1 Like

I’d recommend either the </> button or the ` character to escape things in the forum. If you edit your post you’ll see the change I made.