Fixlet to Uninstall IE 11 for Windows 10 machines

Looking to uninstall IE 11 from 500+ windows machines. Need a script or a fixlet to remove IE 11
New to Bigifix

Thank You

How would you remove IE 11 from your windows machines, manually, without BigFix?

• Would you go to Add Remove Programs and uninstall?
  • Would you run some command or powershell script?

Once you answer the general question, we can proceed to help you convert it into a BigFix way to do the steps.

Looking for a remote silent uninstall. Will not use Add remove programs
Powershell would be a desirable option
If I could do thru Bigfix ( which we use for pushing out Microsoft Updates) I will have a clean record of who got it and who did not get their IE 11 uninstalled.

Thank You

I have tested the powershell below manually. But need assistance in putting it into a fixlet

Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName Internet-Explorer-Optional-x86 –Online -NoRestart

Thank You

You can’t remove it. IE is part (component) of the OS and even Microsoft has confirmed it will continue to be a part of the OS until the end of life.

“Internet Explorer is a component of the Windows operating system (OS) and follows the Lifecycle Policy for the product on which it is installed and supported.”

In that case I’d expect the following ActionScript to work, though I haven’t tested it myself

action uses wow64 redirection { not x64 of operating system }

waithidden powershell.exe -C Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName Internet-Explorer-Optional-x86 –Online -NoRestart

continue if { exit code of action = 0 }

action requires restart "remove-ie-11"

I’d note on 64-bit machines, the feature name is different - it’s “Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64”

2 Likes

Thank You very much . That worked

1 Like

FYI, Tenable’s plugin 22024 looks for a policy/registry entry that redirects IE calls to Edge.

Internet Explorer is being detected as enabled on this device.
This is due to the fact that the Registry key is missing or not set:

'\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\NotifyDisableIEOptions'

https://admx.help/?Category=Windows_10_2016&Policy=Microsoft.Policies.InternetExplorer::DisableInternetExplorerApp

ergo, Tenable customers might consider a belt-and-suspenders approach:

if {x64 of operating system}
	regset64 "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]" "NotifyDisableIEOptions"=dword:00000002
	waithidden powershell.exe -C Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64 –Online -NoRestart
else
	regset "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]" "NotifyDisableIEOptions"=dword:00000002
	waithidden powershell.exe -C Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName Internet-Explorer-Optional-x86 –Online -NoRestart
endif
continue if { exit code of action = 0 }

action requires restart "remove-ie-11"
3 Likes