Fixlet Remediation History By Computer Name

(imported topic written by rmnetops91)

Anyone know how to create a report that would use a “By Computer Name” filter to show all remediated fixlets along with the dates the fixlets were applied (regardless of the action they were applied by)?

We need to be able to see all fixlets that were applied to a specific machine, and the date they were applied on (for troubleshooting possible patch related issues on any given machine). I tried using the wizard to create a Computer Property report that showed remediated fixlets (and then filter by computer name), but the built-in view doesn’t show the date the fixlet was applied. It only lists the fixlets that were applied with the option to click on each one for more details. It would be way more helpful to list the applied fixlets and their apply dates in one table, sorted by apply date.

Edited by Lee Wei (2010-07-29 14:25:00)

I have added this screen shot for convenience, so others can see the structure of the report without having to install it.

Latest report is here:

http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?pid=33477#p33477

(imported comment written by Lee Wei)

rmnetops,

Maybe you can start with the follow Session Relevance statement and see if the result is what you are looking for:

(name of fixlet of it, source severity of fixlet of it, last became nonrelevant of it) of results from (bes fixlets whose (display name of site of it contains 
"Patches for Windows (English)" and fixlet flag of it = 

true)) whose (exists last became relevant of it and relevant flag of it = 

false) of bes computers whose (name of it = 
"SomeComputer")

If it looks good, we can wrap some Web Reports presentation around it.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by ageorgiev)

Lee,

Would it be possible based on this code to extract the “last remediation date” of the entire set of fixlets (latest of all “fixed” dates) and if so how would you do it code-wise? Thank you.

Latest of all fixed dates can be Maximum of the all the dates, so something like the following.

It is modified from the statement posted above.

maximum of (last became nonrelevant of it) of results from (bes fixlets whose (display name of site of it contains
"Patches for Windows (English)" and fixlet flag of it = true)) whose (exists last became relevant of it and relevant flag of it = false) of bes computers whose (name of it = “SomeComputer”)

Lee Wei

I was doing something similar with the idea that I just need the “last remediation date” of each machine against a set of fixlets:

(name of it, maximum of (last became nonrelevant of it) of results from (source fixlets of components of component groups of bes fixlets whose (baseline flag of it = true and (name of it starts with "Baseline"))) whose (exist last became nonrelevant of it) of it) of bes computers

but I get error and not exactly sure why/where it is coming from:

computer1, ( Sun, 20 Jan 2013 03:11:50 -0500 )Singular expression refers to nonexistent object.

I ran the report w/o the “maximum of” and this is the data I do see the full data (some machines have 1-2-3 remediated fixlets as you can see)

computer1, ( Sat, 25 Aug 2012 23:48:33 -0500 )
computer1, ( Sun, 20 Jan 2013 03:11:50 -0500 )
computer2, ( Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:26:42 -0500 )
computer2, ( Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:26:42 -0500 )
computer3, ( Sun, 05 Aug 2012 12:31:39 -0500 )
computer3, ( Sun, 03 Mar 2013 12:49:55 -0500 )
computer4, ( Sat, 12 Jan 2013 02:00:47 -0500 )
computer4, ( Sat, 12 Jan 2013 02:00:47 -0500 )
computer5, ( Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:28:15 -0500 )
computer6, ( Sat, 02 Mar 2013 21:48:08 -0500 )
computer6, ( Sat, 02 Mar 2013 21:48:08 -0500 )

Any idea what I am missing? Why the error and how to fix the code?

(imported comment written by Lee Wei 2)

You can give this a try.

( name of it,
maximum of last became nonrelevants of results from (source fixlets of components of component groups of bes fixlets whose (baseline flag of it = true and (name of it starts with “Baseline”))) of it
) of bes computers
whose (exists last became nonrelevant of results from (source fixlets of components of component groups of bes fixlets whose (baseline flag of it = true and (name of it starts with “Baseline”))) of it)

Lee Wei

Thanks Lee, that did the trick.

(imported comment written by rmnetops91)

Lee,

I tested that out in my relevance tester, and that looks perfect.

Would it be possible to have a drop down menu of computer names similar to the Baseline reports you recently created?

rmnetops,

You can try this report.

color=red

Note: There are 3 other variants of this report in this thread. Please scroll down for more info.[/color]

Latest report is here:

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by rmnetops91)

You rock Lee!

Works great.

Thanks

(imported comment written by kespoor91)

Lee-

I’m SO very glad you created this! I’ve been looking for this information in this format too!

I’m wondering if it would be possible add the ability to limit the results to a certain date range? For my needs, being able to select what month to report on would be sufficient, but I’m suspecting others out there might prefer multi-month, weekly, daily or some other combination. I’m not seeing pre-populated filters that would accomplish this.

rmnetops- thanks for asking for this report!

Kespoor,

I have clobbered together a report with the ability to search a date range.

I hope you can use it.

Please see the attachment at this post:

Lee Wei

Lee-

That is SO AWESOME! You ROCK!

Thank you!

(imported comment written by JasonO91)

Lee Wei,

No good deed goes unpunished…

This report is one of my favorite reports, and I’ve been trying to get the report to work for a computer group. I can’t get the report to do what I want. I think it’s my lack of javascript that’s holding me back.

Any pointers towards getting this to work with a group would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

(imported comment written by arnoldgsteve91)

JasonO

Lee Wei,

This report is one of my favorite reports, and I’ve been trying to get the report to work for a computer group. I can’t get the report to do what I want. I think it’s my lack of javascript that’s holding me back.

Any pointers towards getting this to work with a group would be greatly appreciated.
Jason

I am probably looking for almost the same thing. I collect my fixlets into baselines so I can track them through our acceptance testing process. After we get approval from the testers, I put the approved patches into a ‘deployment’ baseline which I deploy to production as multiple actions (each customized for the targets involved).

What I need is a report I can export to Excel to answer admin questions like “What fixlets were installed on Server-X and when were they installed?” Ideally, it should look like this:

For a Chosen Action or Baseline (whichever’s easier):

Loop through each computer targeted by the action/baseline and report:

Action/Baseline Name

Computer Name

Fixlet Name

Fixlet Source

Date Applied

Result (Fixed, Not Relevant, Failed, etc…)

Anybody know of an existing report which is close to that?

JasonO

Lee Wei,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Good job for trying to tackle this. I suspect this has less to do with JavaScript, and more on the Session Relevance. I edited the relevance to pull computer names from a computer group.

Please use the latest report here:

Lee Wei

Lee-

THANK YOU! I didn’t even realize I needed this, till you developed it! :slight_smile:

(imported comment written by JasonO91)

Lee Wei,

Good to know that I wasn’t just missing the boat on the relevance. I created almost the exact same relevance to get what I wanted. When I run the report, the group has approximately 1340 computers in it, and the report hangs with “Processing”

I am assuming that it’s hanging due to the number of fixlets that it’s trying to evaluate.

Jason

Jason,

Yes, it is just taking a long time.

The query has to go through the results of 1340 computers X thousands of Fixlets.

If we have 1000 Fixlets, that is 1.3 million rows.

If you select this large result set, the output is probably not very useful.

In any case, the query will take a while, but it will eventually return.

Can you also try a smaller computer group to test with?

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by arnoldgsteve91)

Lee-

Thanks - that’s what I wanted!