File Download retry and timeouts in actions

I believe the current download retry method when it downloads a file with a bad hash, waits for X mins and then retries and then doubles the wait time on each failure.?

is there a way to just have it retry every x mins and not keep backing off?

I run into issues with some MS updates like O365, and Google, Adobe that release updates whlie my baselines are already running and the systems which attempt to download after the new release go into a retry loop for up to 2 hrs. I would like to fail it sooner but also cover for transient download failures from clients and relays, that if attempted every 5 or 10 mins would resolve in 30 mins.

I know my environment is small relatively, but i have some schedules with 300+ windows servers all trying to download their updates from the relays at the same time.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but…

Is the reason for the download timeout because they relays have not yet cached the payload or that the relays are just swamped with so many concurrent downloads they do not manage to service each one in a timely fashion?

If the first, you should look at the File Pre-Cache Wizard
If the second you may want to look at better staggering the actions that do the downloads to smooth the peaks & troughs, increasing the number of relays (to spread the load) or improving their network connectivity (or placement within the network) to increase the bandwidth between relay & client.
An additional option could be PeerNest.

1 Like