Failed to start BESClient daemon on Rehat 9.2 OS

Installation of agent is completed but unable to start /besclient agent, below is the command output.
Please let me know how to fix

systemctl status besclient
× besclient.service - BESClient daemon
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/besclient.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2024-01-31 10:17:56 EST; 30s ago
Process: 104721 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/besclient start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
CPU: 2ms

Jan 31 10:17:56 elab-template-rhel9 systemd[1]: Starting BESClient daemon…
Jan 31 10:17:56 elab-template-rhel9 besclient[104721]: /usr/local/bin/besclient: line 12: /etc/init.d/functions: No such file or directory
Jan 31 10:17:56 elab-template-rhel9 systemd[1]: besclient.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jan 31 10:17:56 elab-template-rhel9 systemd[1]: besclient.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Jan 31 10:17:56 elab-template-rhel9 systemd[1]: Failed to start BESClient daemon.

Do you have the prerequisite “initscripts” package installed? See RHEL 9 x86_64 Agent Support

If you already have initscripts, check the steps at https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0023226 and post back here if none of these resolve it

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have installed both initscripts & chkconfig, I am still getting the same error, please advice

[root@elab-template-rhel9 /]# rpm -qa | grep initscripts
initscripts-service-10.11.5-1.el9.noarch
initscripts-rename-device-10.11.5-1.el9.x86_64
initscripts-10.11.5-1.el9.x86_64
[root@elab-template-rhel9 /]# rpm -qa | grep chkconfig
chkconfig-1.24-1.el9.x86_64
[root@elab-template-rhel9 /]#

Below is the error, I am seeing.

[root@elab-template-rhel9 /]# /etc/init.d/besclient start
Job for besclient.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status besclient.service” and “journalctl -xeu besclient.service” for details.
[root@elab-template-rhel9 /]# journalctl -xeu besclient.service
░░ The job identifier is 96881.
Feb 05 13:22:13 elab-template-rhel9 besclient[274809]: /usr/local/bin/besclient: line 12: /etc/init.d/functions: No such file or directory
Feb 05 13:22:13 elab-template-rhel9 systemd[1]: besclient.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
░░ Subject: Unit process exited
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░
░░
░░ An ExecStart= process belonging to unit besclient.service has exited.
░░
░░ The process’ exit code is ‘exited’ and its exit status is 1.
Feb 05 13:22:13 elab-template-rhel9 systemd[1]: besclient.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
░░ Subject: Unit failed

░░
░░ The unit besclient.service has entered the ‘failed’ state with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 05 13:22:13 elab-template-rhel9 systemd[1]: Failed to start BESClient daemon.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit besclient.service has failed
░░
░░
░░ A start job for unit besclient.service has finished with a failure.
░░
░░ The job identifier is 96881 and the job result is failed.
lines 256-279/279 (END)
░░ The job identifier is 96881.
Feb 05 13:22:13 elab-template-rhel9 besclient[274809]: /usr/local/bin/besclient: line 12: /etc/init.d/functions: No such file or directory
Feb 05 13:22:13 elab-template-rhel9 systemd[1]: besclient.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
░░ Subject: Unit process exited
░░
░░
░░ An ExecStart= process belonging to unit besclient.service has exited.
░░
░░ The process’ exit code is ‘exited’ and its exit status is 1.
Feb 05 13:22:13 elab-template-rhel9 systemd[1]: besclient.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░
░░
░░ The unit besclient.service has entered the ‘failed’ state with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 05 13:22:13 elab-template-rhel9 systemd[1]: Failed to start BESClient daemon.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit besclient.service has failed
░░
░░
░░ A start job for unit besclient.service has finished with a failure.
░░
░░ The job identifier is 96881 and the job result is failed.

Was the client installed before initscripts was installed?

Seems like something is missing that is trying to be called by the client, which makes me wonder if the folder wasn’t present when the client was installed and then it didn’t put things in there that it should have that now it is failing to find??? I’m not certain though.

I wonder if removing the client and putting it back would work. What version of BigFix client are you installing? I would probably recommend trying whatever the latest 11.x release is.

You may need to contact BigFix Support to get more detailed help.