Failed Fixlets RHEL5 - although all actions completed

(imported topic written by elee0291)

Hello,

Within the Summary section of the action info, the status is: Failed

Under Action Script Execution Detail: Every item is “Completed”

I checked the client manually, and the rpms did not install.

Attempting to rerun the action, I get the action has already been applied 1 time and will not be applied again.

The fixlet still shows up as a relevent fixlet when selecting the computer.

The specific Fixlet is RHSA-2008:1036 - Firefox Security Update - Red Hat Enterprise 5.0 (x86_64)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

ern

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi ern,

It looks like the action ran, but didn’t take effect (which is why the baseline reported failed)… Perhaps try to run the update manually using the same command line as in the Fixlet and see if it gives an error…

Ben

(imported comment written by elee0291)

Hi Ben,

I installed the RPMS manually and the fixlet can now be skipped, but I’m not quite sure how to execute the patches manually from bigfix. Can I run them from the command prompt? I don’t see any connectivity statements in front of the action script, ie: ssh or rsh or telnet etc…

Is the manual update the only way to handle this type of error?

Thanks for all the help (across all the posts, not just this particular question, found a lot of info/hints I needed)

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Normally when you are troubleshooting issues where patches aren’t running properly, we try to run them by hand on a system to see if they work…

So you are saying in this case that there was no issue running the patches manually?

Ben

(imported comment written by elee0291)

Ben Kus

Normally when you are troubleshooting issues where patches aren’t running properly, we try to run them by hand on a system to see if they work…

So you are saying in this case that there was no issue running the patches manually?

Ben

Yes, I was able to execute the rpm command manually after downloading the rpm to the server manually.

So instead of doing a rpm -F __download/xyz.rpm , I did rpm -F /root/build/xyz.rpm from the server itself; and that worked.

The fixlet is also now not relevant