External sites no longer gathering new content

Our Patches for Widows site is no longer updating. The last MS update we receive (downloaded) is from 12/2021. The Patches for Windows site shows version 3,888, but when I browse to the link provided for the site, it shows 3,952.

The GatherDB.log file does not show any problems related to the the site. There are exceptions for the Device Management for Windows Mobile and Server Automation:

Fri, 01 Apr 2022 13:38:47 -0700 – Unexpected exception during gather of site Device Management for Windows Mobile: class NoAuthorizedSignature (class X509VerifyError<20>)
Fri, 01 Apr 2022 13:39:17 -0700 – Unexpected exception during gather of site Server Automation: Unexpected HTTP response: 404
Fri, 01 Apr 2022 13:44:50 -0700 – Unexpected exception during gather of site Device Management for Windows Mobile: class NoAuthorizedSignature (class X509VerifyError<20>)
Fri, 01 Apr 2022 13:45:20 -0700 – Unexpected exception during gather of site Server Automation: Unexpected HTTP response: 404

The BESRelay.log file shows some trouble attempting to gather from the HTTPS site for Windows Defender and Cisco AMP:

Fri, 01 Apr 2022 13:40:12 -0700 - 6780 - HTTP gather for http://syncbf.xforce.ibmcloud.com/cgi-bin/bfgather/windowsdefender?Time=1648845602 was successful. HTTPS connection to {https://syncbf.xforce.ibmcloud.com/cgi-bin/bfgather/windowsdefender?Time=1648845602} was unsuccessful due to {HTTP Error 28: Timeout was reached: Connection timeout after 10010 ms}; retried using HTTP
Fri, 01 Apr 2022 13:40:21 -0700 - 5988 - HTTP gather for http://syncbf.xforce.ibmcloud.com/cgi-bin/bfgather/ciscoamp?Time=1648845611 was successful. HTTPS connection to {https://syncbf.xforce.ibmcloud.com/cgi-bin/bfgather/ciscoamp?Time=1648845611} was unsuccessful due to {HTTP Error 28: Timeout was reached: Connection timeout after 10008 ms}; retried using HTTP

And an error running task RelayNotifier:

Fri, 01 Apr 2022 14:06:59 -0700 - RelayNotifier7 (1852) - Error running task RelayNotifier7: HTTP Error 28: Timeout was reached: Connection timeout after 10014 ms

Checking all Fixlets and Tasks, including hidden and non-relevant ones, the most recent of either is from 12/13/2021.

We recently upgraded to 10.0.5 in February. We are not using a proxy. And I have disabled AV while testing recently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought I should spot check the versions for a few of the other sites, and they are all behind what is currently available, too.

BES Support
Local Version: 1461
Gather URL Version: 1465

Updates for Windows Applications
Local Version: 1689
Gather URL Version: 1742

Patching Support
Local Version: 969
Gather URL Version: 983

You should open a support ticket. Did you turn on (or off) enhanced security around that date?

I checked, and Enhanced security is turned on, but I don’t know if it was turned on around that time.

I have been unable to disable Enhanced Security for testing. The process to disable it ends in an error:

class ExceptionCannotBeCopied

I discovered, recently, that our support was never renewed after HCL took over BigFix. We are working on getting support re-enabled for our instance.

Any assistance we can get until then is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Please email me at daniel.paquette@hcl.com and also provide a case number if you have one open.

I am very curious if a resolution to this problem was ever achieved. As it happens I discovered that we are experiencing exactly the same problem. Our site version numbers are at the same ones as OP, and they have not updated since despite there being new ones available. This seemed to happen right after the upgrade to 10.0.5 at around the same time as OP. Our support expired as well right after the HCL acquisition, and getting a quote for renewed support has been like pulling teeth with no end in sight.

It’s likely due to the expired support. Dan is out this week but if you send me a PM I’ll help you get in touch with someone who can help.

Any update on this for HTTP working but not HTTPS?

I’ve had this for a long time, would like to stop seeing this in my logs but don’t want to delete these 2 sites.

Honestly, I would be fine to probably just disable Gather on these two sites since I don’t believe they change often.