External Site Relevance for Red Hat subscribing Oracle Linux machines

Hello everyone,

I recently been experiencing some erratic behavior after tweaking some of the external sites we have enabled for patching. I made the changes in the effort to filter Amazon Web Service’s VM’s we have from our internal clients. Unfortunately, it seems to have caused an issue with the Red Hat 6 site I have. All of a sudden Oracle Linux 6 machines are subscripting to the site even when explicitly tell it not to.

I have since opened a PMR with IBM but was wondering if anyone has ever encountered this issue and resolved it successfully? I have tried tweaking the relevance, clearing the cache, removing and reenabling the site all with no success.

What is the operating system being returned by the endpoint? What version of the platform are you using?

Hi Alan,

They endpoints are returning as Oracle Linux and I am on the latest 9.5.4.58 build. Strangely, this afternoon the relevance seems to be working again after removing and enabling the site for a 5th time.

You may have to wait after disabling the site. I presume you are moving the subscription to “No Computers” and then moving it back to a custom relevance. You need to wait for the actionsite to propagate to all the endpoints and for the unsubscription to process and then add them again usually.

2 Likes

I tried selecting the radio button to no computers but the most recent attempt involved me disabling the site from the License Overview panel and re-enabling it.

When you turn the site to “No Computers” I presume you did click the “Save Changes” at the top? This makes an actionsite change (so MO’s only can do it) and has to propagate and be processed.

1 Like

Hi
That is the best practiceto disable External Sites? 1)Move to NoComouters 2) Disable the site.

I would say yes, if you are going to disable a site, you should flip it to No Computers for the site subscription first and let that propagate for a while. You can also remove read access to it for non master operators. Once you have done this, it should no longer be having any impact except for a tad on master operator consoles and the root server itself. Then you can eventually disable it, but probably no need to be in a hurry to do so.

1 Like

Part of the problem might be the fact that Oracle Linux is a flavor of CentOS/RHEL in most cases. Not sure if the site content works for it, but if it does, then it probably should be relevant. I have never dealt with Oracle Linux other than playing with it in docker, so I’m not sure of this.

After reading everyone’s post I believe part of my problem is that I was not waiting long enough for the changes to propagate before re-enabling the site. The issue seems to have resolved itself for now but I agree that the clones of the standard RHEL/CentOS can cause issues at times with regards to relevance.

3 Likes

Great, I was in the right path, didn’t think of the permissions before, is good to know specially when you have an overloaded environment.

1 Like