Exporting BFI reports to a folder

We need an option to schedule a report export to a file folder. When we schedule reports today, the only option is to export to e-mail addresses which does not work for most of our reports due to their size.

Has anyone found a way to do this?

BFI has it’s own REST API, that might be a useful place to start. I haven’t much looked into that myself though.

Thanks Jason I’m not a programmer so that doesn’t look like something I can use. Other discovery and asset management systems I have used had options to schedule export of reports to e-mail address and file folder so I am hoping BigFix Inventory does too.

What about an Email enabled SharePoint document library? Would that meet your requirements for file delivery to a repository?

If I understand correctly, that would still be an e-mail message to be handled by the Microsoft Exchange servers. Perhaps I can get an allowance from the e-mail administrators for such use but that is not ideal. The SW Installation report (csv) is over 120-MB just for servers. After converting to an Excel Binary file format, the file is about 7-MB.

True - it would still need to be an email, and I think this is your best option. Aside from an API call and additional automation to convert the data from JSON to CSV, the only other option would require an administrator downloading the report through the user interface (which I understand is not ideal). The challenge for BFI is that it doesn’t have any capability to access the local file system.

Tomasz said IBM has an RFE about zipping the reports before emailing.
I tested this option and a 120-MB report in CSV format compresses to 6-MB in the legacy WinZip format.
This would work for us.

2 Likes

Is there still an RFE for this feature and do you know the hyperlink?