Expired computer cleanup

Hi, can someone please help me in understanding the usage of -P with BES Computer Remover utility?

I am looking for an option (-P) to delete “device type” not equal to “server” and not reported in for more than 90 days.

For reference, please see: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/BES%20Computer%20Remover

The -P argument is an optional element to configure which property to leverage to identify duplicate computers, where the default is computer name. It is not associated with marking expired computers as deleted (for which there is no granularity beyond configuring the number of days of inactivity after which an expired computer will be marked as deleted).

Could you provide more details around your use case? Are you trying to have different inactivity periods for different types of endpoints to mark them as deleted? If so, is it not possible to leverage the more conservative value across the environment?

From what I have seen, you’ll have to go about this with some custom solution.

I would suggest removing any machine after 90 days, as regardles if it is a server or desktop, it is no longer active on your network.

HI Thanks for your comments.

I am looking for a solution to delete endpoints based on the age and property. For instance, delete endpoints not reported in for 90 days and whose customer code is XYZ or whose region is APAC.

I would suggest read the link provided and try. There is a parameter:

-P <PropertyName> : Use the specified retrieved property to find duplicate computers, like "IP Address".  (Default "Computer Name")

I’m not pretty sure if it would work for what you need, but take a look.

From the link provided:

Starting from V9.5.0 BES Computer Remover is not supported because, from that version of the product, it is integrated in the BigFix platform.Details can be found : Windows: Computer Remover, Linux: removecomputers

The Windows link provides details of the “Clean Up” tab of the BigFix Administration Tool. This utility is integrated, supported, and has Scheduling functionality.

You would have to use a relevance query or Web Reports report to get the list of computers that match your criteria and then pass those into the computer remover with the -N option.

1 Like

Thanks all for extending help in this query. Finally extracting the report from webreports and passing it to computer remover worked.