Exceed license?

I have 3000 client licenses.
What is going to happen if I install client up to 3001?

Clients will enter restricted mode, which means that they will no longer report Fixlet message relevance or allow you to apply actions for sites other than the BigFix Support Site. There is a Fixlet that will report applicable computers.

Hi

We’ve exceeded our clients license with more than 1 ( pending our purchasing department, we almost have them all :wink: ) and everything keeps on working.
They do report back and you can send custom actions to custom sites etc.

So nothing to worry about, your environment will continue to work BUT IBM will notice this tho and ask you to buy more (as you should do).

Greetings

1 Like

I found this topic on it, which is what I recall will happen.

I believe that as systems go offline, the licenses are “released” to online systems. I could be wrong on that one though.

Martin

To clarify, licenses are allocated to devices that have reported/registered within the last 24 hours.

2 Likes

24 hours is the default, but I think it can be adjusted.

Was there any clarification on what the overage can be before clients stop reporting relevance?

10% was mentioned in the referenced thread but I dont see if confirmed anywhere

1 Like

The licenses are “perpetual” and functionality is not based on seat count. You can have 1 or 250,000 clients on any license and it is still expected to work (actions, reporting, etc.).

However, IBM is requiring customers to stay in compliance with the number of seats (RVU’s, PVU’s, etc) on their contract. This is why many customers are also using the ILMT application in order to retrieve this information from their BigFix deployments and report it to IBM ahead of audits.

Note: The content sites you subscribe to (Patching sites, SCM sites, Software Distribution, etc.) are typically good for one year before they expire, check the expiration date for each one either in the License Overview dashboard or License Key Center. When these sites expire, they cannot be used anymore and functionally will stop working.

In what case might this be applicable? https://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/376

evaluation of client license = false

or

expiration state of client license = "Restricted"
1 Like

Now? (in 2016?), they should never be applicable. I could be wrong, but I’ll wait for someone to prove me wrong.

1 Like

I’ve heard this as well.

I’ve also heard of this.

I do wonder if it depends on what kind of licensing you have, or how it was arranged.