Error 1714: The older version of BigFix enterprise cannot be removed

(imported topic written by qiexo91)

One of the BES client v8.0 on our user desktop is corrupted. We planned to reinstall back the client. We manage to uninstall the BES Client but when we tried re-install the client, error message appear

“The newer version of this application is already installed on this computer. If you wish to install this version, please uninstall the newer version first”

Then I found the solution which is removed the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\4CD65E4A5CFC2764EB43D4D0E4C5F197

. Then I tried one more time re-install the BES Client. at first, it seems like the installation progress is successful but half way, this error message appear:

“Error 1714: The older version of BigFix Enterprise client cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group”

I have search over internet to solve this issue. Can anybody help me out?

Thank you

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

Have you tried the BESRemove utility?

http://support.bigfix.com/bes/install/downloadutility.html#besremove

(imported comment written by qiexo91)

Hi Noah…

Yes, I have tried. Actually I uninstalled the BIG fix client using Big Fix remove utilities BESRemove-7.2.5.22

(imported comment written by Tanyalynnette91)

Hi Noah…

Was there a solution to this? I have a customer with the same issue

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

I’m not aware of any discussion on this topic beyond this thread (but I haven’t gone searching through support tickets). Sounds like using the older utility, as mentioned above, seems to be a reasonable workaround.

(imported comment written by chanceisham)

Anyone else have anymore ideas? We’ve used all removal utilities, cleaned up the registry with “BigFix” and “BES”, removed all folders, and have tried different installers. Still same results.

Thanks you

-Chance

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Are you using the MSI installer? If so try using the EXE installer. Its my undersanding that the MSI installer will not upgrade an install, only the EXE will. The MSI aborts if it finds any components or parts of them.

(imported comment written by TomAGibb)

I have had this issue before and to resolve the problem, I’ve had to use a Utility like SysInternal ‘ProcExp.exe’ to identify any left behind BES Client processes that may have a file locked.

Once I’ve killed those process, I’ve been able to complete the uninstall of the legacy version or even the current version of BES Client on a system and get a fresh install completed.