Error 1609 while deploying software

Any Ideas on this would be greatly appreciated,

Getting “Error 1609.An error occurred while applying security settings. FTSE\SYSTEM is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package, or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click Retry, or Cancel to end the install. Unable to locate the user’s SID, system error 1332”

So far:
-Created an MSI
-Tested MSI Silently on admin CMD
-Uploaded to Bigfix
-Deployed with Bigfix to test Group (7x windows 10 1809 computers)
-All failed with error code 1602, reviewed log (nothing useful).
-Retested msi by hand on test Group computers with /log & saved to file , all completed successfully
-Went back to software deployment fixlet and added /log & saved to file
-Uninstalled again and cleaned test Group
-Redeployed to test group, All failed exit code 1602
-Compared bigfix install log file to my hand install log file

-Discovered the "Error 1609.An error occurred while applying security settings. FTSE\SYSTEM is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package, or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click Retry, or Cancel to end the install. Unable to locate the user’s SID, system error 1332"
only exists in the bigfix install log file and not in my hand run one.

to note:
-this software is ancient (Seriously, must be run in windows 98 comparability mode to work, old) home brew software to package.
-Have been running and using Bigfix for years, installing all sorts of software and never seen this.
-I believe the 1609 it maybe related to the way this old install is using bigfix’s service account to install it vs my domain admin account but in active directory both accounts are setup the same from what I can tell.
-When I ran this by hand, I ran it Exactly how Bigfix does with the only difference being the accounts use.

Any ideas at all would help, can upload full logfiles if anyone wants to take a look.
Much thanks,
WM

1 Like

This is saying that LOCAL SYSTEM (which the client runs as) can’t install your package. This could be verified by using PSEXEC to run a cmd window as LOCAL SYSTEM and I bet you would get the same error.

You can have the action run as the current user (if one is logged in) with the override commands. See https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/reference/execution/override.html

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply,
Extra eyes always helps.
Confirmed that it was due to running as LOCAL SYSTEM, by running PSEXEC.
Same exact error.

For remediation; I have attempted to push out as current user with the override commands.
However, this was unsuccessful after some deeper verbose I am getting a 1603!
After I try to Diagnose this a little further, I finally got it to push out by pushing out as local user unfortunately that means passing account credentials, so I took the software deployment wizard that builds in the password being passed as a secret parameter. Used a Domain Admin account and got it to install somewhat successfully. I was then able to change the comparability mode with a simple reedit which then required a restart to take place. The last piece of the puzzle is to get this to run the application as an admin for the users. I see stuff up and down the form with this so I think this can be considered resolved. Thanks Alan!

I am currently getting the Alert: Error occurred while getting software package from Web version but I can push from BigFix server. All were working previously. Any ideas as to why it wouldn’t be working from Web version??

I don’t think you’ve given us nearly enough information to help troubleshoot. It doesn’t look related to this thread either, so you should probably start a new one.

ok. Thanks. Will start new.