Encoding problem extracting informations

Hi

I’m having a encoding problem when I extract informations using Presentation Debugger or the API.

I have created a task which make a powershell call creating a file, which holds information regarding active directory users. This file is created using UTF8 encoding.

This file is then uploaded to BigFix using an Analysis, again using UTF8 encoding.

The creation of the file doesn’t give any errors, neither does the upload and it looks like everything is there, when I look in the console.

But when I try to read the property using the Presentation Debugger it gives me “Error: WindowsCharacterSetResult: Error 1113 (No mapping for the Unicode character exists in the target multi-byte code page.) in TranscodeU8ToU16.” and if I read it using the API , the result is “The expression could not be evaluated: 19InvalidTextEncoding”.

Anyone who has had this kind of “challenges” and ideas how to solve this.

Thanks in advance.

Have you specified encoding in your analysis to specify the file content is in UTF-8 encoding?
If not, try encoding like:
content of file “c:¥xxx¥yyy.txt” of encoding “UTF-8”

I think, by default, BigFix client treats local file as local encoding, such as US-ASCII.

I have specified UTF-8 encoding in my analysis and it seems to be read ok into the BigFix property, the problem starts when I try to read the property from BigFix, using the Debugger or API.

Then, I recommend to check the value of your property, because when the entire string is really in UTF8, Error 1113 should not occur.

Perhaps at client:
(your property as string) as utf8 binary_string as hexadecimal