Effective Time of Throttling Setting Changes

We have been using static throttling settings for our relays, but noticed some discrepancies in when they actually take effect when the values are changed. On some relays, the change seemed to happen immediately, others after a period of time (up to several hours), and still others upon cycling the relay service. What is expected? Should I need to cycle the relay service to make the change effective?

Bump … any insights anyone?

I think there is some connectivity issues? Is the delay happening only when your deploy the throttling task or does it happen with every action you take?

In our case, throttling is already enabled. There is a policy action that changes the value twice a day. We’ve had issues where the policy action would run and the setting appear to change, but didn’t in fact take effect immediately. Sometimes it would be immediately effective, other times within a few hours, and some when the relay service was cycled.

I’m resorting to cycling the relay to ensure the new value ‘takes’ at the correct time, however I’d rather not have to do that if possible.

This should only occur if it’s actively downloading something at the time of the settings change. I believe in that case, the throttling will not take effect for the active download.

Thanks for your feedback Steve. That makes sense based on what we are seeing. It was confusing as the relay setting would show an updated value, but be acting on the old value.

We’re going to continue our practice of cycling the relay service upon setting throttling value changes to ensure that the value takes effect at the correct time. That appears to be the only consistent way to enforce the correct throttling at the proper time.