Dynamic folder for fixlets to grab new content from.

I’m looking for a way to have an open fixlet that will look for dynamic content and deploy to the clients if the content is different.

For example I want to deploy an MP4 to an endpoint if the folder contains newer material than is currently on the endpoint.

So I would just paste the content into the repository and then this would get picked up regularly and posted out if necessary.

Is there currently any way of doing this?

The “BigFix Labs” site is, as far as I know, not “officially supported”, but have you looked at the Periodic Action Dashboard from that site? It looks like it’s meant to cover a very similar case of creating new actions to deploy updated antivirus signatures as they change, but might be able to adapt to your use.

Hi Jason,

Thanks very much for the response and I’ll definitely check this out.

Cheers :slight_smile:

I recently had to prove out something like this. What I ended up doing was using a PowerShell script to watch the specified folder, then when anything changed it sent the updated file to the relevant endpoints. In a bit more detail:

1. Watch the designated folder using System.IO.FileSystemWatcher. The subfolders in this folder are named the same as the location number of the retail store they represent.
  2. Calculate a checksum of the modified file.
  3. Run a BigFix query via the REST API to get the ids of the endpoints at this location.
  4. Create an xml object for the action, using the ids in the Target to make it a mailbox action.
  5. Make the action relevant to endpoints that are missing this file or have a version of the file that doesn’t match the new checksum.
  6. Submit the action to the specified endpoints by posting the xml object to the REST API.