Duplicated clients

(imported topic written by LeoCiociano)

What could be the cause that some clients get duplicated without being rebuilded?.

The thing is, there are lots of clients that get duplicated (one or more times) without being rebuilded or reinstalled at all. Because of this, every day I have a bunch of duplicated client records on the TEM Console and confuses TEM Operators.

Any ideas?.. Is there a way to stop them from doing it?

Regards,

Leo

(imported comment written by Lee Wei)

One possibility is the use of a “configuration lockdown utility” that prevents changes to or restores the Windows Registry.

TEM stores the ComputerID and some operation data in the Registry.

So if a computer is restarted without the TEM Agent data, the TEM Server will assign a new identify to the Agent.

Please see this thread for more info:

Running BES with Faronic Deep Freeze

I am not familiar with the workarounds and the thread will provide additional info.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by LeoCiociano)

Thanks Lee, but this is not the case. I think something is changing the Computer ID of these clients, but I don’t know what.

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Were the endpoints created from an image? In that case they may already have a computer ID in the registry and when they try and register the server can detect a duplicate and force both computers to re-register and get a new ID.

We are having this problem on Solaris machines. They will come back with a new ID after being patched and rebooted. We currently have a PMR open for this, but it seems to be going no where.

Talk about frustrating for trying to keep manual groups.

How are you rebooting the machines after a patch? Are all these patches being done by the Patch site or custom content?

The patching is being done by custom content; TEM is not being used to push the patches to the servers, but rather used to initialize patching scripts local to the servers. The script patches, activates the new boot environment, and gracefully reboots the servers.

(imported comment written by dyamamoto)

As Alan mentioned, check the image if you’re seeing lots of duplicates. Another possibility that I’ve seen is that performing a Windows System Restore will cause a duplicate entry.

-daryl