Downloading a file from a local server fails

I’m trying to create a Task for Linux clients that will download a file from a server on the local subnet, extract it, then run a script. The file is hosted in an HTTP folder and I have verified that I can download it via browser or wget via both domain name and IP. Before running it on all applicable computers I am testing it on just one.

The first attempt using the domain name for the download server failed. The error stated that the domain name could not be resolved, unfortunately I cannot recall the exact message. Testing with ping via the clients CLI as a normal user found that the domain name could be resolved.
The IP address fails also but for a different reason. In this case it is “HTTP Error 28: Timeout was reached.”

It seems that the agent cannot access the local subnet for downloading files. This is weird as the local relay is on the exact same subnet that both the client and download server are on and the client is communicating with the relay just fine. Not certain if there is anything I can do here but I’ll take any assistance I can get.

Here is a scrubbed copy of the task’s action script. I have verified that the SHA sums and size are correct.

prefetch RHEL.tmp sha1:e5c1bb6290bc9c201f87cc612fe8313ef66c7ef6 size:136166804 http://server/bigfix-files/filetodownload.tgz sha256:b13aaadcaec9e3b613d074d5bbd724cde7c03058772d5267123ff080a5646c56
extract RHEL.tmp

wait bash script1.sh

delete file1
delete file2
delete script.sh

When using the “prefetch” or “download” commands, by default it is only your BigFix root server that performs the download. The root caches the file, then the Relays download it from the root. This is much more efficient in terms of network traffic than each client downloading directly.

To have the client download the file directly, bypassing the Root/Relay Caching, you can use the “download now” command instead, or launch a new shell with the ‘wait’ command and have the shell run curl or wget to download the file outside of the BES Client.