Disabling Mozilla Firefox Update to version 3

(imported topic written by mellis200091)

Hey everyone,

I am looking to see if anyone has written (or if BES has one already done) a Fixlet or Task to disable the Mozilla Firefox Update check. My organization is not ready yet to upgrade to version 3, and now Firefox keeps asking my users if they would like to upgrade to version 3. Does anyone have any suggestions on how something could be written to disable this check? I’ll start on something also, and post updates as I have more information.

Thanks,

Mike

(imported comment written by mellis200091)

I did discover that the file that contains information such as whether to check for updates is the prefs.js file that is located in each users default profile (for example, C:\Documents and Settings\mellis\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5tjpym5p.default). In that file, which can be accessed by typing about:config on the Firefox address line, you can specify such information as whether to check for updates, where you want your files to be saved when you download a file, and other things.

I have also discovered that you can copy a default setup file from your local profile to the default profile, which is located at c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile and when someone new loads Firefox for the first time, it will keep the setting of not checking for an update automatically. That’s something, at least, but it doesn’t help me to set other current users so that they don’t get the update prompt.

This is an issue for us because we are running Zimbra for our mail system, and printing within Firefox 3.01 has caused some headaches in that weird characters get added into the printout.