Disable Multiple services in registry

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a way of disabling multiple Windows Services in the registry at once by either using the Registry Task Wizard or would this need to be done by a custom task?

Basically the goal here is to limit the amount of steps needed in an automation plan.

Does it have to go through the registry? The SC command could help with this. For example you could run
sc config servicehere start= disabled | net stop servicehere

1 Like

@MMosley Spot on suggestion. Use the Windows commands over hacking the registry.

To add on, since you need to disable multiple services, you will probably need to create a bat file using __createfile command and then run the bat file in your action script, similar to what we did here with changing user group configurations:

No, it doesn’t have to be through the registry. Whatever is quickest honestly - we have a fairly large automation plan this needs to be placed into. So you can have multiples in your example? Such as:

sc config servicehere start= disabled | net stop servicehere
sc config servicehere2 start= disabled | net stop servicehere2
sc config servicehere3 start= disabled | net stop servicehere3

@ptholt79

that will work as well. Your ActionScript could be as simple as:

dos sc config servicehere start= disabled
dos net stop servicehere
dos sc config servicehere1 start= disabled
dos net stop servicehere1
dos sc config servicehere2 start= disabled
dos net stop servicehere2

dos sc config TapiSrv start= disabled
dos net stop TapiSrv
dos sc config Themes start= disabled
dos net stop Themes

1 Like

thank you very much for the replies. I tested the above and it worked perfectly. However, I also need to re-enable the services afterwards in the automation plan. Setting the services back to automatic or manual did not appear to work even though the task shows a status of completed. Any idea why that might be?

EDIT: I was able to get them re-enabled to automatic just not manual.

I believe the internal start type (to use on the command line) is not “manual” but is “demand”

2 Likes

Hi all,

Revisiting this. As I said before, I was able to get this to work fine and had figured out the start types.

I placed this in an automation plan (unsure if the outcome is different because of that?) with a failure step to stop the plan if it fails. Fixlet content below:

Relevance
(windows of operating system) AND (exists running service “TraceMasterVue SQL Security Service” OR exists running service “TraceMasterVue Communications Service” OR exists running service “TraceMasterVue IO proxy Service” OR exists running service “traceMasterVue service manager” OR exists running service “TraceMasterVue Status Manager”)

Actions
Action1 (default)
Script Type BigFix Action Script

// Enter your action script here
dos sc config TraceMasterVue SQL Security Service start= disabled
dos net stop "TraceMasterVue SQL Security Service"
dos sc config TraceMasterVue Communications Service start= disabled
dos net stop "TMVCommService"
dos sc config TraceMasterVue IO Proxy Service start= disabled
dos net stop "TraceMasterVue IO Proxy Service"
dos sc config TraceMasterVue Service Manager start= disabled
dos net stop "TraceMasterVue Service Manager"
dos sc config TraceMasterVue Status Manager start= disabled
dos net stop “TraceMasterVue Status Manager”

The step is saying it completes (confirmed in logs) however the plan stops. In my initial run, I did not use the quotes around the service names and the services did not stop or get set to disabled. I realized that because the service names have spaces, they probably needed quotes. After attempting that edit on the second run, the services stopped, however they did not get disabled. Puzzled as to why that did not happen. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

You have wrapped the service name in quotes for the net stop commands, but not for the sc config commands.

You could also query the services to get the short names - they don’t have embedded spaces

Funny you say that, I was just in the process of testing the quotes out in the sc config commands.

These services unfortunately do not have shortened sercice names other than the “TMVCommService”.

That is the short name and you can use it unquoted.

In relevance speak it is the service name and you can get the value using a variant of

(display name of it, service name of it) of running services whose (display name of it starts with "TMV")

For the script above try

waithidden sc config "TraceMasterVue SQL Security Service" start= disabled
waithidden sc stop "TraceMasterVue SQL Security Service"
waithidden sc config "TraceMasterVue Communications Service" start= disabled
waithidden sc stop "TMVCommService"
waithidden sc config "TraceMasterVue IO Proxy Service" start= disabled
waithidden sc stop "TraceMasterVue IO Proxy Service"
waithidden sc config "TraceMasterVue Service Manager" start= disabled
waithidden sc stop "TraceMasterVue Service Manager"
waithidden sc config "TraceMasterVue Status Manager" start= disabled
waithidden sc stop "TraceMasterVue Status Manager"

take care copying the above - I always seem to get the quotes changes to smart quotes, and they just don’t work

Thanks, this did work, but the automation plan still stops after this step. Again, step says complete, logs show no errors so something is triggering the failure step to stop the automation plan. I attempted to wrap the commands in if statements but that yielded the same result.

Is this a Task or a Fixlet, and what Relevance are you using for this this step?

If it’s a Fixlet, it will (by default) be marked as Failed if the relevance still evaluates True after it runs. So, for example, if you’re checking whether the services exist in the Relevance, well…they still exist after you stop and disable them, so that would still evaluate True and mark the fixlet as Failed.

2 Likes

This is a Task. Relevance used:

Relevance
(windows of operating system) AND (exists running service “TraceMasterVue SQL Security Service” OR exists running service “TraceMasterVue Communications Service” OR exists running service “TraceMasterVue IO Proxy Service” OR exists running service “TraceMasterVue Service Manager” OR exists running service “TraceMasterVue Status Manager”)

I’ve seen the targeted servers disappear from the applicable computers list under this Task after the step is completed in the automation plan.

We might need to see some of the automation plan logs to see what’s happening. Since the task is marked successful, I wonder if the next steps in the plan are relevant ?

Next step is a baseline. Support said I should enable debug logging, run the plan again and then send them the plan logs. Where are the plan logs located?