Device Type Error

(imported topic written by Braian)

HI all,

Any idea on encountered error in device type relevance? ex. initialization failure, Not Found, Invalid Class, Unknown error 0x80070422, The system Cannot find the file specified.

Thanks in advance,

Braian

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

Please:

1. Post the Relevance query
  2. Does it happen on only one box?
  3. What type of hardware and OS?
  4. Does it happen in the Fixlet Debugger and when run through the Console?

(imported comment written by Braian)

Hi Noah,

relevance is :

if (exists wmi AND exists string value whose (it as lowercase does not contain “ups”) of selects “name from win32_Battery” of wmi) then “Laptop” else “Desktop”

each error happen in multiple endpoint and it happens to both laptop and desktop. WinXp and Win7.

Thanks,

Braian

(imported comment written by martinc)

This appears to be a wmi error. Check other properties on a failing system to see if you have similar errors. I can check tomorrow, but I think I have a fixlet created to help fix some of these errors.

Thanks Martinc, Please post here tomorrow.

Hi Braian,

I cannot seem to find the fixlet I created. It was at a customer site that I am no longer at. I can look to recreate as much as I can, but what I based it off of was this link:

(interesting that if WMI is broken in SCCM, you are pretty much out of luck). I do not have any systems right now that have a WMI error, so it is kind of hard to replicate exactly.

I think that I also used the WMI diag tool (
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7684
) that I would write to a file then use an analysis to capture the data.

One thing I do recall was that the WMI service on some systems had dependencies and the “net stop” would not stop the service so it required some manual intervention.

I will see if I can look at recreating this fixlet, but it might take me a bit as I need to find some time to work on it :slight_smile:

Martin

Quick way to identify these systems:

1. In Web Reports go to Explore Data

2. Click the Edit Columns and add the column “Computer Model - Windows” (part of the hardware analysis)

3. Add the filter “Computer” “Computer - Model - Windows (Hardware Information (Windows))” “contains” “Windows Error”

This will show all systems with errors which should be ones with WMI issues. The thing to note is that there are different error codes and some are easier to fix than others.

Ok I pulled one together based on some of the notes and scripts that I had. I have posted it to
http://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/3652?force=true
for downloading.

I have only been able to test this in a very limited set of systems, so not sure if it will fix everything. There are 2 actions in the fixlet, Try the “simple” one first (does not require a reboot, but if it does not seem to fix the issue, try a reboot before trying Advanced). If the “simple” action does not work, try out the Advanced action. This should address anything, but it does a bunch of tasks that might be a bit dangerous, so only use it if simple does not work.

If you have any feedback on it, please let me know. If you see something that needs to be fixed or added, I can get it in the fixlet.

Hope that helps.

Martin

HI
martinc 060001Y107 ,

tried Simple and advance, but both failed when deployed to PC.

Do you mean that the scripts failed or that they failed to fix the issue?

If it was a failure of the action, what was the error code?

Check the BES client log for something that looks like the following:

At 11:09:05 -0700 - actionsite (http://winbfsrv.gulfsoft.local:52311/cgi-bin/bfgather.exe/actionsite)

Command succeeded delete No ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_TEM-2dCustom_Content__creatfile’ exists to delete, no failure reported (action:1276)

Command succeeded delete No ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_TEM-2dCustom_Content\wmi_advanced.bat’ exists to delete, no failure reported (action:1276)

Command succeeded createfile until __END (action:1276)

Command succeeded copy __createfile wmi_advanced.bat (action:1276)

Command started - waithidden cmd.exe /c wmi_advanced.bat > C:\Windows\TEMP\wmi_advanced.log 2>&1 (action:1276)

At 11:09:14 -0700 - actionsite (http://winbfsrv.gulfsoft.local:52311/cgi-bin/bfgather.exe/actionsite)

Command succeeded (Exit Code=0) waithidden cmd.exe /c wmi_advanced.bat > C:\Windows\TEMP\wmi_advanced.log 2>&1 (action:1276)