Deploying Dell BIOS Changes

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

So I have been tasked with getting Wake On LAN working in our environment. To do so, I need to make sure the BIOS of every computer is set for WoL. So using some code found here I have developed a system to remove the passwords off of the computers using CCTK, then deploying a new BIOS to the computer to ensure they are all the same, then pushing out OCMI to the computers, then last task is to deploy the new config with changes. I have logged in and tested that this config change makes the proper changes to the computers including adding back in a new password to the BIOS and setting WoL.

Here is where the issue lies.

When I go to deploy out the exe created from the CCTK, it attempts to run as system and will no run. When I log in as an admin, it works and updates the BIOS. Our users are not admins, we have several different models, and we simply cannot log into over 2000 machines and run this exe file. Any help here is appreciated.

Here is a portion of the script. Keep in mind this deploys it out properly, it is just when it runs that the issue happens.

//Dell OptiPlex 755 BIOS Config Update

IF {(((string value of selects “Model from Win32_ComputerSystem” of wmi) as trimmed string as lowercase = “optiplex 755”) AND ((substring after “=” of (selects (“SMBIOSBIOSVersion FROM Win32_BIOS”) of WMI as string)) = “A21”))}

wait “\server\location\BIOS_Updates\Config\OptiPlex755.exe”

ENDIF

I have even copied it down to the computer to check to see if that was the issue since it produces a log file

Here are some excerpts from the log file:

Note, the logfiles are from a 780, that uses the same script as the 755, I have one written for every model

Ran from TEM

06/28/12 14:29:44

Identified Behavior : unattended

Temporary payload log file name: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\OptiPlex780\SCE3C49.tmp

Translated Command Line : applyconfig.bat -l=“C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\OptiPlex780\SCE3C49.tmp”

Path : C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\OptiPlex780

Append Vendor Software Log: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\OptiPlex780\SCE3C49.tmp

Ran from local admin

06/28/12 14:31:22

Temporary payload log file name: C:\Users\localadmin\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\OptiPlex780\SCEC259.tmp

Translated Command Line : applyconfig.bat -l=“C:\Users\localadmin\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\OptiPlex780\SCEC259.tmp”

Path : C:\Users\localadmin\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\OptiPlex780

06/28/12 14:31:24

Append Vendor Software Log: C:\Users\localadmin\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\OptiPlex780\SCEC259.tmp

The problem it seems is that it tries to execute it in the system32 folder and that just isn’t allowed.

Any suggestions?

(imported comment written by MattBoyd)

Are you trying this in 64-bit Windows? If so, try adding this to the beginning of the action:

action uses wow64 redirection false

You could also use the PSExec utility to try running the CCTK as SYSTEM manually.

Are you trying this in 64-bit Windows? If so, try adding this to the beginning of the action:

You could also use the PSExec utility to try running the CCTK as SYSTEM manually.

Grrr…

(imported comment written by bxk)

Is this where you remind yourself that the “new” forums are “better” than forum.bigfix.com?

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Matt,

It is a 64 bit system. I will give the redirect a shot

also, what is PSExec?

Ok,

After lots of research, I think I figured it out from this thread over at the Dell Community Forums: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4469/p/19428383/20024137.aspx

TL;DR

PROBLEM:

Problem seems to be related to location of installation file. Installation process is looking for this source in C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\OM_APP_WIN_R300392 while correct location is C:\Windows\syswow64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\dell\drivers\OM_APP_WIN_R300392.

CURRENT SOLUTION:

The most current version of OMCI (32 & 64) 8.1.0.A00 has been pulled from the Dell Business Client catalog due to a versioning error. I have received word from the Product team that they intend to re-release it with the next Catalog Publication (expected within the next week). A bug has also been filed with the Dell OMCI Team regarding the issue of the client failing to install under system context on 64bit OSes. Once the catalog is re-released with OMCI I will be testing this on 64bit and working with the OMCI Team if the issue resurfaces.

The “-s” switch allows you to run commands as SYSTEM

Did you try disabling wow redirection for the action? Did you run into the same issue? I’m not so sure that the problem you’re having is related to that post.

@Brian - yeah, this new forum rocks :wink:

Matt,

I did the syswow64 redirect true and false with the same results each time. I also tried it with PS Tools, but I was unable to get them to run once deployed.

I suspect psexec is failing to run because it’s waiting for someone to accept its EULA.

Include this line before you use psexec

regset "

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\PsExec

" “EulaAccepted”=dword:00000001

Current user is System, which is what you want since that’s the user that’s running psexec.