Deploying an exe files with switches

hi
i have an exe file (not msi) with command switches for silent installation, serial number etc.

i need a manual task that will show me which of the computers doesn’t have this program installed, and show it to me so i can install it manually with bigfix, no reapply.

so, the relevance is ok, i’ll handle that. but about the installer.

it’s something like program.exe /d /quiet /key:dfkdkdkddkdkdkdxxxxxxx and so on and so forth

@liorme, I would recommend using an execution command from the Action Script library, specifically the waithidden option.

This command uses CreateProcess to launch a command in a hidden window. It hides the window by setting the STARTUPINFO dwFlags to STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW and setting wShowWindow to SW_HIDE. The process that is created may modify that flag to subsequently show the window again.

You can then utilize action parameter query to prompt operators for inputs for the EXE switches that unique values per execution.

1 Like

I’d look at using the Software Deployment Wizard. It allows you to upload your installer to the BigFix server, and builds a Task to manage downloading and executing the installer. The wizard asks you for the command-line switches that may be needed for a silent installation.

2 Likes

i now see that i have a predefined batch file that launches this exe with it’s switches. so what’s the simplest way to launch this batch on the endpoint?

You use prefetch or add prefetch item to get the EXE file and BAT scrip to the endpoint and then the waithidden command to launch the BAT script.

If you’re looking for some basics on content creation, please use the following links:

I hope this helps.

thank you. i ended up running with a simple action script with run command, and it works just fine

many thanks :slight_smile: