Dell Hardware patches

(imported topic written by Shawn_Jefferson)

Just got off a call with Dell, and they have a program to work with outside vendors of patch management products. Will Bigfix be implementing this with Dell ? This includes, BIOS updates, Firmware, Drivers, etc… There is a catalog that they publish and the packages themselves. I’d really like to see this in the Bigfix product!

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey Shawn,

This sounds very interesting… can you please email us some additional information from Dell or some contact info?

Ben

(imported comment written by Shawn_Jefferson)

Hi,

I’m working on getting some contact information for you.

Here’s their webpage that talks about this program:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/sitelets/solutions/management/server_partner?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

I think it would be useful and feather in the Bigfix cap.

Thanks,

Shawn

Here’s a particular person you can talk to at Dell about this program:

Jim Sholz is the Program Manager for the Certified Partner Program. The folks from Bigfix can contact him at:

Jim_sholz@dell.com

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

We asked for this a while back. No one showed any interest. But hopefully if enough people ask…

http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=1605

It would be very helpful for us.

(imported comment written by rkc91)

Ben

Can we include firmware upgrade for HP systems and Emlux HBA

rkc

rames

It would be very helpful for us.

I’m going to change my stance on this. Dell provides tools we use to sucessfully maintain their servers. I would rather see BigFix focus on what it already does best and continue making the product even better; I wouldn’t want development for this to draw resources away from that mission. Yes, it would be nice for us to have it integrated with BigFix but this, for us at least, is a “nice to have” but not a “need to have”.

(imported comment written by rharmer91)

I’d like to see them support things that make sense/easily snap in. Less (tools) is more for us.

Well, in this case, Firmware updates, BIOS updates, RAID driver updates are all patches. I’d rather have ONE platform to patch my infrastructure than two or three. Some other products already support DELL update packages (like Microsoft’s offering.) IMO, it makes sense for Bigfix to pursue this.

I’d at least like to see them support installing and updating the DELL / HP agents. But I agree that one management platform is better than two or three. That’s why we chose BigFix in the first place. If all we wanted was Windows, we would have gone elsewhere. We needed Solaris and Linux as well. So here is my thread bump which will hopefully generate more support.

(imported comment written by rharmer91)

You can already distribute out the latest version of the HP agents via BigFix… you just want it automatically available for you?

Rich

I want the relevance. Pushing the patches is easy :slight_smile:

The logic behind which server needs the patch is where the hard part lies for us. We just don’t have time to maintain this, much like we don’t have time to write MS patch logic. It would be a huge benefit. Openmanage is not quite what it needs to be and it is a seperate tool.

Bringing this back from the dead, it seems Microsoft has something similar to what we wanted with SMS 2003:

Systems Management Server 2003 Inventory Tool for Dell Update

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92A9BB94-1806-487B-A697-92492BF8CC8E&displaylang=en

Any chance we’ll see something similar? :slight_smile:

(imported comment written by ggerling91)

Dell updates would be a useful feature for my Agency as well.