DeepFreeze Control

(imported topic written by mjcarr91)

I would like to see a fix for managing Deep Freeze from Faronics. Their solution of stopping the BES Client service while the system is frozen is crazy. How am I supposed to send any commands from Bigfix?

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi mjcarr,

We have proposed a solution to Faronics that would allow the BigFix Agent to run properly (by not replacing the BigFix portion of the registry and by not replacing the files), but they have not yet implemented it. If there were something that BigFix could do, we would like to… but the way DeepFreeze works, it simply overwrites whatever we do upon freeze/thaw.

There are a lot of you guys on the forum who use BigFix and Faronics and I would suggest that you guys request they better support applications like BigFix. We are happy to discuss with them more if they are available.

Ben

(imported comment written by ErinC91)

I’ve managed to get a workable setup with DeepFreeze and BigFix … detailed on this post --> http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=12

(imported comment written by Lynnicus)

I have gone through and implemented the Persistent Cache Service solution <- Nice going!

However, I have an additional configuration I would like to implement but I am unsure if it will work. Some feedback from those more experienced with Tivoli/BigFix would be very helpful.

Instead of using a set time to deploy Actions (because I cannot… I have very limited control over when or if the Deep Freeze maintenance will occur), I’d like to Lock systems that are Frozen, and Unlock them when th systems are “Thawed” or in “Maintenance mode”.

I have written a Task that looks for all computers that match the following relevance:

exists value 
"DF Status" of key 
"HKLM\Software\Faronics\Deep Freeze 6" of registry as string and ( ( value 
"DF Status" of key 
"HKLM\Software\Faronics\Deep Freeze 6" of registry as string contains 
"Maintenance mode" ) or ( value 
"DF Status" of key 
"HKLM\Software\Faronics\Deep Freeze 6" of registry as string contains 
"Thawed" ) ) and ( lock string of action lock state = 
"Yes" )

With an Action script of:

action unlock “{parameter “action issue date” of action}”

Should this work? In other words, will this Task/Action get processed on systems that are currently locked?

(I have the opposite Task/Action pair to lock “Frozen” systems and it appears to work just fine).