DB access for custom reports

Is it possible to access BigFix database directly, or perhaps export it to SQL?
I would like to use Crystal Reports to create some custom reports.
Any advise on that regards?
Thanks!

Hi manny2002,

I think that the most easy way to create custom report is by using BigFix Web Reports.
You can either create your custom report from scratch or customize one of the provided report.

What do you mean with “export it to SQL” ?

If you want to access the database directly you can use the tools provided with the DBMS.
It depends on the OS where the server is installed. For Windows it’s MSSQL for Linux it’s DB2.

Federico

Sorry, I didnt realize the backend was MSSQL already.
Is there any documentation for the DB? schema etc.
Crystal Reports for sure has more options, specially regarding layout, charts, etc.
I just want to give it a try.

I don’t believe that the database schema is published.

That’s not to say that a decent DB developer couldn’t figure it out.

When I queried IBM about it, years ago, they recommended that people not connect directly to the database. Mostly for performance reasons. They recommend you use the Web Reports interface (you can export report data in a CSV format if you want to manipulate it in another program) or if you have complicated needs, you can access the database via either the SOAP or REST API’s. The API’s are very powerful, but you need to understand “Session Relevance” to use them properly. I’d recommend you start with the Web Reports interface first since it’s much more ‘user friendly’. There is a scheduling system in it to allow you to automate the data exports if needed.

1 Like

I definitely recommend not going to the DB directly as the schema does change regularly.