Dashboard Script Error & Adobe Flash Issue

Do you have adobe flash for IE installed? I guess it is bundled now.

What dashboard do you get this error with specifically?

The issue is still occurring for me as well. Although I’ll be honest, I haven’t done much to troubleshoot as I no longer use the Console on the actual BigFix Server. But it is any dashboard that seems to want to use Flash. If I go to Adobe, obviously they tell me Flash is integrated into my browser since I’m on Server 2012r2. If I hit Yes, nothing happens.

I’m running BigFix 9.5.2 and I don’t have this issue with Windows 10 or with Windows Server 2012R2, both of which I’m using the console on. I don’t think I had this issue when I was running 9.2 either.

It is definitely possible that you have a security setting interfering and causing this issue. I don’t remember if I had to change a security setting.

CC: @jgwentworth

There have been some updates to the Desktop Experience on 2012/2012R2 which you do need to install. Microsoft had some defects which were addressed.

1 Like

Another thing, I did have to install the Full Desktop Experience on Windows Server I believe for the console to fully work on Win2012 server.

In general, I don’t think it makes sense to use Flash based anything on the Root Server, only on a terminal server or other systems that use the BigFix console. You don’t need to have the BigFix console working with flash on the Root itself.

Manage Software Distribution.

I’ve uninstalled the console and it works again, but eventually gives that error again.

1 Like

That is very odd. I don’t understand why it would work, then stop like that.

In case Windows Server 2012R2, Adobe Flash player comes with Windows as a part of Desktop Experience component.
If you have not enabled the “Desktop Experience” feature, you must enable it with following steps:

1. Open Server Manager
  2. Select “Add Roles and Features”
  3. Proceed the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” till Features.
  4. Select “Desktop Experience” under “User Interfaces and Infrastructure”.
  5. Proceed the wizard.

You also need to update flash. Since it is a part of Windows Server, Microsoft provides Flash update. I think KB3214628 is the latest as of Jan.2017.
You can use Fixlet “MS17-003: Security Update for Adobe Flash Player - Windows Server 2012 R2 - Adobe Flash Player - KB3214628 (x64)” (ID: 1700317) in Patches for Windows site to update Flash, assuming the Agent is installed.

Under the Supported Software tab on “IBM Endpoint Manager Platform 9.2.0 Detailed System Requirements” for Console (
http://www-969.ibm.com/software/reports/compatibility/clarity-reports/report/html/softwareReqsForProduct?deliverableId=CFE47F60633211E3A11D923472D26C14&duComponentIds=Server_CFECE3D0633211E3A11D923472D26C14 ) there is a description that you need to have Adobe Flash player 12 or later. When you fresh install Windows Server 2012R2, Flash is 11.
Of source, for security, it is recommended to use the latest one.

1 Like

Seems like there should be a bigfix task in BES Support to enable this feature.

1 Like

Yes, would be a good idea. I could add one if I knew how :slight_smile:

1 Like

Installing Desktop Experience is simple. Following will do.

action uses wow64 redirection false
waithidden dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:DesktopExperience /norestart /all
continue if {exit code of action = 0 or exit code of action = 3010}

(need to restart after completion)

The detection is little more complex. Currently something like following works, but win32_serverfeature is deprecated and perhaps need a better way.
not exists selects "name from win32_serverfeature where id=35" of wmi

2 Likes