Custom timestamp and Last Report Time

Under some circumstances we have observed computers that report into BigFix but have issues where they cannot run fixlets. In those cases simply removing and re-installing the BigFix agent seems to resolve the issue. Therefore we would like to create a custom registry key called AgentHealthCheck and run a fixlet once a day to stamp the time the fixlet ran in the registry key and then compare it with Last Report Time. It shouldn’t deviate more than a day (or even a few hours) from this timestamp. I’m thinking a custom web report would be necessary to get this info and process the comparison but how do I format both the timestamp so that it is comparable to Last Report Time and how would I write the relevance to find computers that are connected to BigFix but not doing anything?

Something like a polling action? Maybe just apply it as a client setting?

setting "MyHealthCheck"="{now}" on "{now}" for client

Comparing times in Web Reports is a little tricky, but if it’s able to keep reporting in this state you could make it an Analysis Property:

MyHealthCheck Expired:

exists setting "MyHealthCheck" whose (now - value of it as time > 1 * day) of client

Should return “True” if the value hasn’t updated within the last day. You’d need to schedule this Task Action to “Repeat while relevant, waiting X hours between reapplications” and make it reapply more frequently than once per day.

You’d want the filters on a Web Report to catch computers with “Last Report Time” more than a day old OR “MyHealthCheckExpired” gives ‘True’

4 Likes

Nice! I’ll try this thank you!

I ended up going with a report of computers that have checked in within the last day AND that have the “true” result from the analysis. After the weekend there were 6 computers that showed up on my report (5 of which had since updated themselves once I checked on them and were no longer relevant) however there was one computer that had a BigFix agent problem since it hadn’t run the task to update MyHealthCheck since Friday. I ended up reinstalling the agent and now it’s working fine. I’m hoping this will help me find any others that have issues in the future thanks again!

2 Likes