Custom right-click Computer menu - Not all of the selected computers were able to run the selected action

Can you post the full “ShellCommandRelevance” reg value?

Below is the ShellCommandRelevance” reg value.

"G:\BigFix Enterprise\BES Console\RunQuiet.exe sha1.exe -h " & name of current computer

Is this for one machine only? Are you seeing the same problem with the same machine when you launch the console from another machine (i.e. is it possibly console cache issue)? If another user, potentially MO tries the same option against the same machine are they getting the same thing (i.e. is it possibly permissions-related)?

1 Like

This is happening with everyone.

Worth opening a case then if “one-off” scenarios are all ruled out.

This seems like it would only work for a single computer but not multiple computers, but I have not played with custom right click options enough to really know if that is true or not.

I would think you would need something like: concatenations "," of names of current computers , but I don’t actually understand what your goal is here.

I have some outdated examples here, but they also only work for a single computer at a time: bigfix-content/ConsoleContextMenus at main · jgstew/bigfix-content · GitHub

Related:

1 Like

I’m quite confused about that command line - aside from @JGStew’s note about pluralizing the relevance, it’s executing sha1.exe -h <computername>.

Calculating the sha1 hash of a computer’s name string doesn’t seem to have anything to do with putting the hostnames into a clipboard, and I’m curious where this command came from.

1 Like

If we go back to “The Original” post on this we can get some details… Custom right-click Computer menu

This links to some BigFix Labs downloads at https://support.bigfix.com/labs/downloads/

Note the task download has changed from http to https but the link is old, so you may have to manually switch the download URL to https://support.bigfix.com/labs/downloads/Console%20Right-Click%20Options.zip

I’m looking at those now will let you know what I find

1 Like

Hmm. Well, sure enough, the downloaded task does download sha1.exe from us, and sha1.exe -h actually does copy the string to the clipboard. Strange choice.

And, right-clicking one computer and selecting the ‘Copy Hostname’ does work for me. Does it work for you, one computer at a time?

Has ‘sha1.exe’ been removed from your ‘BES Console’ directory? I could imagine that happening if the console were uninstalled & reinstalled, or moved to a different location so it’s no longer on the “G:” drive.

1 Like

Interesting! That was also confusing me, but good to know it actually does it.

It seems the error message “not all of the selected computers were able to run the selected action” seems to be the error ANY time something goes wrong.

I attempted to duplicate the issue and encountered the same result after installing the Right-click option :open_mouth:

I checked through the console debug logs, Whenever I clicked on copy hostname, I received the error message below.

CreateProcess failed in ContextMenuExtensionManager::LaunchExtension for Computer <ID>

I attempted to alter “ShellCommandRelevance” in a few different ways based on several earlier forums, but I was unable to make it function.

I don’t know if the final solution I found will work for the original requester, but it’s amusing and strange because it worked the first time I rebooted my console server.

1 Like

This suggests it isn’t finding RunQuiet.exe or sha1.exe

The console debug dialog is very helpful when testing this.

I could see that this was due to a plural relevance error… singular expression required.

I have this working, but ONLY for a single computer at a time, doesn’t seem to work for multiple???

It is also not ideal since I’m not using runquiet, it pops a CMD window.

1 Like

Mine works as expected, but only for copying one computer at a time, with the original task using ‘sha1.exe -h’.

Also note the ‘MaxComputerSetSize’ registry value is the wrong name; that’s the name documented on the Tools page, and the one created by the downloaded Task, but a procmon showed me the value name should be ‘MaxSetSize’; add that registry value if you want to do more than one computer (for any task). I’m experimenting now as well.

2 Likes

MaxSetSize worked for me in my example to allow me to highlight more than one at once, BUT… it caused CMD to run 2x, so then it was only the last hostname I selected that ended up in the clipboard.

If I remember correctly, there might be a different registry key to set for handling multiple selections as a single item rather than multiple instances of the other??? or something???

1 Like

I put my limited value single hostname example here:

https://github.com/jgstew/bigfix-content/blob/main/ConsoleContextMenus/CopyHostname.reg

2 Likes

I have used this for several years.

It is only good for one computer, selecting multiple computers grays out the option.

I want to look at other commands and options, just been busy

3 Likes

In all honesty, if “copy computer names” is the desired effect, using the native “Copy text” can give you that. Yes, it copies all columns but you can easily paste the full list in Excel and then just copy the “Computer Names” column from within excel. It’s an extra step that will take you literarily two seconds flat…

3 Likes

@JasonWalker @vk.khurava @jgstew @D.Dean

Thanks everyone for your suggestions but I’d like to tell you that we are unable to copy even single hostname using any of the shared options as well.

I don’t know if apart from below Sha1.exe has any relation with system/user certificates.

Copy Sha1: Computes the Sha1 checksum and Size for the selected file and copies the results into your Windows ClipBoard (paste buffer) as a prefetch action command. Use this feature to quickly generate the download command when distributing custom packages through custom Fixlets.

@ageorgiev,
Currently, we don’t have other option so playing with Excel only, but something is broken, and we have to fix that for smoother performance.

Thank You.

If sha1.exe is missing on the system in the path specified, then you will get the error you are seeing. Or if that binary doesn’t run correctly.

It is only being used to copy data into the clipboard.

If you use the method that I shared, that should work on modern windows systems but it does not rely on RunQuiet or SHA1 being present on the system, but it does cause a command window to appear for a second.

See here: bigfix-content/ConsoleContextMenus/CopyHostname.reg at main · jgstew/bigfix-content · GitHub

If something isn’t working with the console right click menu options, it will put messages in the debug window that are helpful.

1 Like