Custom Property for software version

I’m looking to make a custom property to track the version number of our proprietary software. It is not installed unfortunately and is not present in add remove programs. I am able to use a .NET command via Powershell to pull the version out of the exe file. I am wondering if there is another BigFix command that will pull the assembly version vs the product version, or if there is a way I can use the .NET command in a custom property.

[Reflection.Assembly]::Loadfile(‘c:\test.exe’).GetName().version.ToString() via powershell returns 3.2.0.457

Value “ProductVersion” of version block of file “c:\test.exe” via BigFix returns 3.3.0

(Get-Item ‘C:\test.exe’).VersionInfo.fileVersion via powershell also returns 3.3.0

A common approach to this type of data collection problem is to create a Task to execute the Powershell script and place the output in a file on the endpoint. Then use an Analysis to read the file for the required data.

2 Likes

Just be careful about executing unknown files. Like taking candy from strangers. If the bad guy manages to replace the file you’re checking, the BESClient can execute it as LocalSystem.

Much preferred to either have your app put the correct metadata on the file (so we just check ‘version of file “c:\test.exe”’), or use BigFix Inventory and create signatures based on each release reversion.

1 Like